If you’re a compassionate person interested in a helping profession, take a look at a major or minor in chemical dependency counseling. Both are offered through the University of St. Thomas-College of St. Catherine School of Social Work.

Learn more about the program at an information table scheduled twice: from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesdays, Feb. 19 and March 19, in the main-floor atrium of Murray-Herrick Campus Center.

Courses in the major explore the causes of chemical dependency, how families are affected by chemical dependency and various therapeutic approaches used to assess and treat it. In addition, students spend 880 hours at local chemical dependency treatment centers, where they begin to provide counseling services while under close supervision by professional staff and university faculty.

The major prepares students for work as chemical dependency counselors in a variety of settings: inpatient and residential treatment programs, outpatient programs, family programs, detoxification centers, assessment and referral agencies, halfway houses, extended care programs and school chemical health programs.

In order to work in these settings, graduates need to obtain an Alcohol and Drug Counselor License issued by the state of Minnesota. The major is designed to meet the educational requirements for obtaining the license.

The minor in chemical dependency studies was developed for students majoring in other social science and health-related areas: social work, nursing, psychology, sociology, criminal justice and occupational therapy. The minor will provide for these students information on chemical dependency that will be highly useful throughout their careers.

Program director Brom Johnson notes that changes in counselor licensing requirements and the dramatic increase in national awareness of chemical dependency are strengthening the demand for qualified counselors.

Contact Brom Johnson for more information about the program; call (651) 962-5804.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email