Luann Dummer Center for Women offers graduate and undergraduate fellowships
St. Thomas' Luann Dummer Center for Women announces the availability of fellowships for graduate and undergraduate students on topics related to women and girls. Below are deadlines and application procedures.
Graduate student fellowships: The center offers two graduate fellowships to students who will conduct research on topics related to girls and/or women. These fellowships have been offered since the 1999-2000 academic year.
Full-time and part-time students in all graduate programs are invited to apply for the 2007-2008 academic year. Students must be enrolled at UST during most or all of this time period. The application deadline is Friday, April 13, 2007.
This research may be conducted as part of a course, thesis or dissertation, or it may be conducted as a credit or noncredit independent study. Whatever the format, the student must have a faculty sponsor to guide the project and support the application. The research fellow agrees to credit the Luann Dummer Center for Women as co-sponsor and funder in all research outcomes. The fellow also agrees to submit a formal research report and to present the work at a Feminist Friday in the Luann Dummer Center for Women during spring semester 2008.
A $4,000 stipend will be awarded to the student to support work on the project, and a $1,500 stipend will be provided to the faculty sponsor.
In reviewing applications, the LDCW Advisory Board members will pay special attention to the degree to which the project is centered on women and/or girls, the clarity of the research objectives and the research process, the student’s academic strength and likelihood of the project's successful completion, the reasonableness of the timeline, the originality of the proposal, including its use of alternative methodologies, and, the support of the faculty sponsor.
Application cover sheets should provide the following information:
- Student’s name, department, student ID number, home address, phone number and e-mail address
- Degree program and anticipated degree conferral date
- Proposed title of the research project (for use in announcements)
- A brief description of the research project for use in announcements (fewer than 50 words)
- Faculty sponsor’s name and department, phone number and e-mail address
- Unofficial transcript
In addition, the applicant must include a letter of support from the faculty sponsor, and a proposal (not to exceed seven pages, 1.5 or double spaced) that addresses the following:
- Describe your research project. What will its focus be? What do you hope to learn from conducting this research? What is its significance within your discipline and for a broader audience?
- Describe your research activities and methods. Provide an overview of the literature related to your project, including important citations. What resources will you need to conduct this research?
- Provide a timetable for your research. Note: If your research involves human subjects, allow time for prior approval by the UST Institutional Review Board.
- Describe your educational background and how it prepares you to conduct this research. What related courses have you taken? How does this research fit into your development as a scholar or a professional?
- What other sources of funding for this research do you currently have or have you applied for?
Eight copies of the materials must be received in the Luann Dummer Center for Women, Room 103 OEC, no later than Friday, April 13, 2007. Either drop it off at the Center or mail it to the LDCW Advisory Board at Mail #4075. Questions? Contact Dr. Corrine Carvalho, director, Luann Dummer Center for Women, (651) 962-6118.
Undergraduate fellowships: The center offers two fellowships to undergraduate students who will conduct research on topics related to girls and/or women. These fellowships have been offered since the 1996-97 academic year.
Proposals are accepted from students in all academic disciplines who will be juniors or seniors during the fellowship year. Students must be enrolled at UST during most or all of this time period. The grant recipient can complete his or her research during the 2007-2008 academic year, or during summer 2007.
Students who apply must secure a faculty sponsor; present research questions and goals, along with a timetable; demonstrate knowledge of current literature and research methods; and indicate how the proposed research fits into the student’s development as a research scholar. A $4,000 stipend will be awarded to the student to support work on the project, and a $1,500 stipend will be provided to the faculty sponsor.
Applications will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- The degree to which the student is prepared to approach the subject
- The clarity of the objectives and of the process for conducting the research
- The overall academic strength of the applicant and the reasonableness of the timeline
- Faculty sponsor support
- Originality of the proposal, including its use of alternative methodologies
The research fellow agrees to credit the Luann Dummer Center for Women as co-sponsor and funder in all research papers, publications or other outcomes of the research. The fellow also agrees to submit a formal research report and to present the work at a Feminist Friday in the Luann Dummer Center for Women during spring semester 2008.
To apply, submit eight copies of the following by Friday, April 13, to the Luann Dummer Center for Women Advisory Board, Mail #4075 or Room 103, O'Shaughnessy Educational Center:
- A cover sheet with the following information: name, major, mail number, phone, faculty sponsor and expected graduation date
- A research proposal, typed and either 1.5 or double-spaced, of no more than five pages, including: the focus, goals and significance of the research proposal, an overview of related literature, including important citations, research activities and methods, a timetable for the work, a description of research preparation and how the research fits into the applicant's development as a scholar
- Letter of support from faculty sponsor
- Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
Questions? Contact Dr. Corrine Carvalho, director, Luann Dummer Center for Women, (651) 962-6118.