UST Dance Team auditions begin Monday, April 20
Auditions for the 2009-10 UST Dance Team will be held Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, April 20, 22, 24, 25 and 26. All sessions are held in the third-floor gym of O'Shaughnessy Hall on the St. Paul campus.
- Monday, April 20, 6:30-9:30 p.m. – introductions, learn jazz routine and skills.
- Wednesday, April 22, 6:30-9:30 p.m. – review jazz routine and first-round cuts; candidates who have been asked to continue will stay and learn hip-hop routine.
- Friday, April 24, 6-8 p.m. – review jazz and hip-hop routines, sign up for interview times.
- Saturday, April 25, 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. – candidates will sign up for one 20-minute interview with the coach at an off-site location (to be announced).
- Sunday, April 26, noon-5 p.m. – final auditions: candidates are asked to wear all black and will perform all of the learned material in small groups for a panel of judges. Group callbacks will take place at the completion of all small groups to evaluate how candidates conform and dance together.
Arrive on time and in appropriate dance attire with hair pulled away from the face and no jewelry.
All candidates must bring the following items to the first day of auditions:
- Audition fee of $10 (returning members do not need to pay the fee)
- Individual photo – a current headshot or full-body shot (can be dance-related or a photo of the candidate in street clothes, e.g., senior portrait)
- Dance résumé – list dance experience and accomplishments as well as birth date and contact information
Auditions will take place only in the spring because the team must prepare for camp and football games before fall classes begin. Candidates who are unable to attend live auditions in April may submit a video; however, live auditions are preferred (see video information on the Auditions Web page).
Team members are required to re-audition every season and there is no predetermined number of team members to be chosen each year. Team members must be registered full-time students at UST and carry a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5. Incoming students must be accepted as full-time students for the fall semester at UST or have an active application submitted to the Admissions Department by the first date of auditions. All names are screened through Admissions, so failure to meet this requirement will require the candidate to resign from auditions.
The 2009-2010 UST Dance Team will be announced no later than Wednesday, April 29. All members will be required to attend a new-team meeting from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Sunday, May 3.
Although not required, it is highly recommended that you register to attend auditions, demonstrating that you are a prepared and detail-oriented individual. It is easy to register – simply e-mail Coach Alysia Ulfers and include your name, school, current grade and e-mail address. You then will be assigned a candidate audition number.
Visit the Department of Campus and Residence Life Auditions Web page for technical requirements and auditions by video.