UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to "archive" status, and if links have expired, you're welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries' Web site. In some cases, you'll need to register on the publication's Web site in order to access full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com
- "Craig grad completes English Channel swim," Janesville (Wis.) Gazette, Aug. 20, 2009. Samantha Simon will begin her sophomore year at St. Thomas this fall.
- Charley Walters," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 21, 2009. The sports columnist notes, "Dennis Denning of the University of St. Thomas on Thursday was named NCAA Division III national baseball coach of the year."
- "Churches devastated by theft from within," Winston-Salem (N.C.) Journal, Aug. 22, 2009. "'There are often lawyers and very savvy business people sitting on the boards, and they often feel very embarrassed,' said Valerie J. Munson, the assistant director of the Terrence J. Murphy Institute for Catholic Thought, Law, and Public Policy at the University of St. Thomas School of Law in Minneapolis."
- "Shane Kitzman: Internship loaded with memories," Rochester (Minn.) Post-Bulletin, Aug. 22, 2009. "Shane Kitzman is a senior at the University of St. Thomas and served a 12-week internship in the Post-Bulletin sports department."
- "A college flu challenge: Isolation in a dorm room," Star Tribune, Aug. 23, 2009. "'Anytime you have a residential environment where you have thousands of folks living in close proximity, there's increased risk,' said Madonna McDermott, director of Student Health Services at the University of St. Thomas."
- "Specialists in learning that lasts," Star Tribune, Aug. 24, 2009. "The expert says: David Deeds, the Schulze professor of entrepreneurship at the University of St. Thomas Opus College of Business, said the McNamaras' slow-growth strategy has both pluses and minuses, and raises issues that most entrepreneurs must address at some point."
- "When is timing right for a business loan?" Star Tribune, Aug. 24, 2009. Here's the weekly question-and-answer column featuring faculty experts from UST's Opus College of Business.
- "Chic Woodbury Lakes mall defaults; foreclosure looms," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 24, 2009. "Retail vacancies dot the Twin Cities as consumers slash their spending, local development experts say. 'We just have way too much retail space, more than demand,' David Brennan, co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas, said this past spring."
- "Officials encouraged by job gains in state," St. Paul Legal Ledger, Aug. 24, 2009. "University of St. Thomas finance professor David Vang said the state’s latest unemployment report is 'very good news because of the new jobs created.' He noted that sometimes the state’s monthly unemployment rate drops because unemployed people get discouraged looking for a new job and subsequently drop out of the labor work force."
- "University of Akron names Wistrcill new athletic director," Akron (Ohio) Beacon-Journal, Aug. 24, 2009. Tom Wistrcill has a master's degree from St. Thomas.
- Gopher Grocery delivery closes in on profitability," Finance and Commerce, Aug. 24, 2009. "Whether Gopher Grocery can survive in the long run remains an open question, said Dave Brennan, co-director of the Institute of Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul."
- "Creative minds can help newspapers evolve and survive," Minnesota Public Radio, Aug. 24, 2009. Commentary author Bruce Benidt is a former journalist who now works as a communications consultant and teaches journalism at the University of St. Thomas.
- "A 'trailblazer,' crash victim was 'coming into his own,'" Star Tribune, Aug. 25, 2009. Here's a story about St. Thomas graduate student Moussa Maayif, who was killed Aug. 23 in a tragic car crash.
- "College Students with Flu Advised to Avoid Others," KSTP-TV, Aug. 25. The video on this page includes interviews with St. Thomas students and UST Health Services Director Madonna McDermott. .
- "Medal to retired UST prof" The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 26, 2009. Congratulations to Gene Scapanski, who retired after 33 years as a professor and administrator (including vice president for mission from 2003 to 2008). He will receive the Cardinal Bernardin Medal from his alma mater, the Theological College at the Catholic University of America, in October.
- "A splashier street," Star Tribune, Aug. 27, 2009. "Lake Street still has a long way to go if it's going to compete with the area's big tourist draws, such as the Mall of America or Guthrie Theater, said David Brennan, co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas."
- "Lenders hesitating to back new franchises," Star Tribune, Aug. 27, 2009. "Laid-off workers should think twice before deciding on franchising, said Mark Spriggs, chairman of the Entrepreneurship Department at the Opus School of Business at the University of St. Thomas."
- "Fond memories of Kennedy from across the aisle," Minnesota Public Radio, Aug. 27, 2009. Former Sen. Dave Durenberger, who heads the St. Thomas-based National Institute of Health Policy, remembers the late Sen. Ted Kennedy, who died last week.