Thirteen alumni, including four women from the back-to-back national championship softball teams of 2005 and 2006, will be inducted into the University of St. Thomas Athletic Hall of Fame on Thursday, Sept. 19.
The four, Nikki Conway, Janet Nagle, Carrie Embree and Michelle Wong (all but Wong also played on the NCAA runner-up team in 2006), are among eight women and five men who will be enshrined in the hall.
The additions, representing 10 of St. Thomas' 20 varsity sports, bring the Tommies' Athletic Hall of Fame membership to 184 individuals and one team since the first inductions in 1974.
The current inductions are the first since 2007. Short biographies of all of the inductees are available on TommieSports (scroll down). A more in-depth biography of each inductee is available by clicking on the names below.
The inductees are:
- Jake Barkley – 2003, football
- Jane Gibbs Becker – 2004, volleyball
- Nicole Conway – 2006, softball
- Roman Cress – 2003, track and field
- Michelle Wong DenHartigh – 2005, softball
- Carrie Embree – 2007, softball
- Kristal Grigsby – 2006, track and field
- Andrew Hilliard – 2003, track and field
- Janet Nagle – 2006, softball
- Steven Pignato – 1997, baseball
- Isaac Rosefelt – 2007, basketball
- Tessie Thompson – 2003, soccer
- Diane Loughlin Urick – 1989, track and field, cross country
(Note: Biographies will be added daily through Sept. 19.)
A video board highlighting all of the Hall of Fame members is located on the second floor of the Anderson Athletic and Recreation Center, and online here.
Induction into the Athletic Hall of Fame on Sept. 19 will include a reception, dinner and award ceremonies in Woulfe Alumni Hall, Anderson Student Center, on the university’s St. Paul campus.