The Coordinating Council of the University Advocates for Women and Equity is accepting nominations for the Sister Pat Kowalski Women’s Leadership Award. The deadline for nominations is 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 18.
The leadership award rotates among three constituencies of women on the UST campus: faculty, staff and students. This year, the nominations will be for a faculty member who has distinguished herself through her work on women’s issues.
To nominate a faculty member, write a letter to the Coordinating Council, no longer than one and a half pages, explaining how the woman you wish to recognize demonstrates these qualities:
- Clarity of vision through insights into the needs and aspirations of women at the University of St. Thomas.
- Courage of convictions through an ability to speak and act.
- Generosity of spirit through leadership by example, which encourages others to see work on behalf of the women at St. Thomas as a source of joy and life.
E-mail nominations to Dr. Susan Myers. The winner will be announced in early March, and the award will be presented at a Women's History Month reception on March 17.
Each year the award carries two monetary contributions. The first contribution will be made to the Servants of Mary (Sister Pat Kowalski’s order) for the care of their aged and infirm members. The second will go to a charity named by the recipient.
Kowalski died in May 1999. The Women’s Leadership Award is dedicated to the memory and inspiration of her spirit and work. She was director of community partnerships at St. Thomas for seven years. She initiated and facilitated programs and contacts with the broader community.
Previous award winners:
- Pauline Lambert: 2000
- Amanda Rios: 2001
- Ann Johnson: 2002
- Elizabeth Dussol: 2003
- Nicole Gurgel: 2004
- Kay Egan: 2005
- JoAnn Andregg: 2006
- Alethea Alden, Laura Stierman: 2007
- Jill Manske: 2008
- Mary Ann Ryan: 2009
- Lauren Miller, Kelly Rodriguez: 2010