Sign up for a book discussion group of Marriage, a History: How Love Conquered Marriage
From the Luann Dummer Center for Women
The St. Thomas community is invited to participate in an informal discussion of Marriage, a History: How Love Conquered Marriage by Dr. Stephanie Coontz. Groups of 10 people consisting of faculty, staff, students and friends of the Luann Dummer Center for Women will read this book in conjunction with the 14th Annual Luann Dummer Center Lecture, held in celebration of Women’s History Month. Coontz will give the lecture at 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 7, in O’Shaughnessy Educational Center auditorium.
The book discusses how our romantic view of traditional marriage is flawed, and how today’s view of marriage as an institution that provides fulfillment has evolved, especially since the Victorian age, and makes contemporary marriage both more fragile and more satisfying. Participants will receive a complimentary copy of this book, which was selected as one of the best books of 2005 by the Washington Post.
Men and women are invited to participate. Discussion sessions will be held on the St. Paul and Minneapolis campuses. Additional discussion groups may be scheduled; see the Luann Dummer Center for Women’s Web site for updates.
To sign up for a discussion group, contact Pat Alexander in the Luann Dummer Center for Women at email@example.com. Include your name, e-mail address, campus mailbox number and telephone number. Also, indicate which date and time is your first choice for a discussion group.
- Monday, Feb. 19, noon to 1 p.m. led by Dr. Anne Klejment, History Department, Room 103, O’Shaughnessy Educational Center
- Monday, Feb. 26, noon to 1 p.m. led by Dr. John Kronen, Philosophy Department, Room 103, O’Shaughnessy Educational Center
- Tuesday, Feb. 27, noon to 1 p.m. led by Dr. Corrine Carvalho, Theology Department, Commuter Center in lower level, Murray-Herrick Campus Center
- Monday, March 5, noon to 1 p.m. led by Liz Dussol, academic advising, Room 203, Terrence Murphy Hall, Minneapolis campus
- Friday, March 9, noon to 1 p.m. led by Dr. Brenda Powell, English Department, Room 103, O’Shaughnessy Educational Center
- Monday, March 12, noon to 1 p.m. led by Dr. Meg Wilkes-Karraker, Sociology Department, Room 103, O’Shaughnessy Educational Center
- Thursday, March 15, 10-11 a.m. led by Dr. Lisa Waldner, Sociology, Room 103, O’Shaughnessy Educational Center