St. Paul Police arrest two robbery suspects
From UST Public Safety and Parking Services
The St. Paul Police Department arrested two men at 12:15 a.m. Sept. 25, for aggravated robbery with a firearm. A 9-millimeter handgun and a small silver semi-automatic handgun were recovered by police during the arrest.
Police arrested Terrence Jerome Rhodes, described as a black male, 5 feet, 11 inches tall, weighing approximately 185 pounds, and Akeen Jafari Smith, described as a black male, 6 feet tall, weighing approximately 240 pounds, near Summit Avenue and Syndicate Street.
Rhodes and Smith are in police custody and are each being held on $50,000 bail.
According to information received from the police, the men were looking for what they described as easy targets. Additionally, area crime information shows that victims of the recent robberies were college-aged individuals, in groups of two or less people, who were walking in residential areas between midnight and 3 a.m.
If you were the victim of a recent robbery and believe the perpetrators match these subjects' descriptions, please call Public Safety's manager of investigations, Mike Barrett, at (651) 962-5106 to arrange a meeting with St. Paul Police investigators.
Crime prevention tips:
- Use the Public Safety Escort Service to accompany you to your destination.
- Walk with groups of more than two people; there is safety in numbers.
- Don't take unnecessary risks. Stay in populated, well-lit areas.
- Report crimes immediately to Public Safety and the police.
- Remember suspect information, including approximate age, height, weight and details on hair, clothing, jewelry, scars, tattoos, anything noticeable.
- Use a buddy system with your trusted friends to watch out for one another.
Public Safety urges you to be proactive and alert. You can help prevent crime.