Still not sure what to do this summer? It’s not too late to apply for June 2012 summer study abroad courses. Four diverse programs are designed especially for undergraduate students. Three courses are being offered for the first time, and two require no prerequisites.
By traveling throughout Japan and interacting with diverse groups, students will learn how to become more thoughtful and adept communicators in any multicultural context. They also will learn about uniquely Japanese communication styles and about the theories and practice of intercultural communication.
- Program directors: Carol Bruess, Communication and Journalism, and Chie Kakigi, UST
- Prerequisites: permission of instructor
- Fulfills: the practice/application category of the COJO major and minor (COJO370) and the human diversity core requirement
* * *
Students will learn about cutting-edge alternative energy sources such as tidal-, wind-, nuclear-, hydrogen-, and solar-power generation through tours of alternative energy power plants, readings and lectures presented by leading experts throughout France and Italy.
- Program directors: Greg Mowry and John Wentz, Engineering, UST
- Prerequisites: none
- Fulfills: engineering technical elective; environmental science humanities and policy elective
* * *
Ethics in Tibet, (UST)
Based in Lhasa, Tibet, China, this course introduces students to the study of comparative ethics. Students will explore ethical theories in Western philosophy – virtue ethics, deontological ethics, and utilitarianism as well as core themes in Buddhist ethics.
- Program director: Jon Stoltz, Philosophy, UST
- Prerequisites: PHIL 115
- Fulfills: PHIL214 (moral and philosophical reasoning second core requirement) and the human diversity core requirement
* * *
This course explores Argentine historical, political, social and cultural developments from the 1950s to the present. Students will focus on human rights and the complex negotiations that take place when a society transitions from a dictatorship to a democracy.
- Program directors: Paola Ehrmantraut and Don Miller, Modern and Classical Languages, UST
- Prerequisites: SPAN 300, 301 and 305
- Fulfills: SPAN 411: Spanish major/minor requirement and human diversity core requirement
* * *
St. Thomas co-sponsored programs offer a variety of summer study abroad options. For a full list, refer to the new Study Abroad website, click on “Find a Program,” then “Program Search,” and select “Summer” under the “Term” drop-down menu, or view the full list here.