Thank you United We Serve volunteers!
CILCE (the Center for Intercultural Learning and Community Engagement) would like to thank the 100 students, faculty and staff who participated in the Sunday, Sept. 12, United We Serve event, to commemorate that weekend’s National Day of Service and Remembrance and honor all those who put the needs of others before their own. We are so appreciative of everyone who gave their time and talents that afternoon in support of our local community!
We want to share some comments of appreciation from some of the nine community partner organizations that participated that afternoon:
- “Thank you so much to the nine students who worked so hard today! What a wonderful crew; you worked so diligently and accomplished so much – pulling weeds and clearing brush and adding wood mulch. The areas you cleared are now ready for some new transplants yet this fall and/or next spring. We are so grateful for your help, and our clients and staff will appreciate the neat and clean appearance the garden has now.”
- “Your [St. Thomas] volunteers were spectacular! The two gentlemen were especially awesome and ran hard picking up signs along Summit for over an hour.“
- “We were delighted to have this chance to work with the students who so generously shared their time and energy. They really accomplished a lot. Their work contributes to the beautiful and peaceful atmosphere that means so much to our clients and staff, and getting the garden in great shape at the end of the season means that it will have the ideal start next spring. Thanks again to you and to the wonderful students who gave their time to us on that perfect Sunday afternoon!”
- “Many lives have been changed because of what you did; thank you!”
- “The group was on time and ready to work. A surprisingly rare scenario for many groups!”
Thank you very much again to all volunteers for your dedication to our community and for representing St. Thomas so well as you embodied our university mission to serve the common good. You made us proud; what a wonderful way to kick off the school year! We look forward to seeing everyone at future events and encourage our entire campus to find meaningful and sustained ways to be involved in our community.