UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you're welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries' Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- "Classrooms missing 'Mr.': National statistics show shortage of male teachers," The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 16, 2007. "Sue Huber is dean of the University of St. Thomas’ College of Applied Professional Studies, which includes the School of Education. While the education program has always had more women than men, there are fewer men studying education today than 10 or 15 years ago, she said. " https://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?SectionID=75&subsectionID=95&articleID=665
- "North Dakota State adds five to staff," Fargo Forum, Aug. 18, 2007. "Amy Graff is the associate director of student activities for NDSU’s Memorial Union. She was previously employed as assistant director of campus life at the University of St. Thomas, St. Paul. She earned a bachelor’s degree from Concordia College and a master’s degree from the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis." https://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=175333§ion=business
- "Charley Walters," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 19, 2007. The sports columnist notes, "Always curious about international baseball styles and methods, Dennis Denning, who coaches the nationally prominent University of St. Thomas team, intently watches the Little League World Series as well as other worldwide competitions." https://www.twincities.com/ci_6659816
- "Obituary: Nancy Delin made families and marriages stronger," Star Tribune, Aug. 21, 2007. Delin, called a "pioneer in early childhood family education," had an M.B.A. from St. Thomas. https://www.startribune.com/466/story/1373710.html
- "Quam heeds Piper's call," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 22, 2007. "Business observers were surprised at the move. 'I am sure it took a great deal of effort on the part of (Piper CEO) Andrew Duff and his team to show Lois how this would all fit,' said Christopher Puto, dean of the University of St. Thomas Opus College of Business." https://www.twincities.com//ci_6683313?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com
- "Target rings up a strong 2Q," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 22, 2007. "'They're more insulated from the housing disruption and the increase in energy costs,' said David Brennan, co-director for the Institute of Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas. 'Obviously, they're doing some good merchandising and they're also hitting it right on with their target market.'" https://www.twincities.com//ci_6682944
- "Good Question: Is Time Running Out On Watches?" WCCO-TV, Aug. 22, 2007. "'I'm not surprised at all,' said Dr. Dave Brennan who studies consumer trends at the University of St. Thomas." https://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_234084620.html
- "H.J. Cummins: At Juut, that extra dollar goes to health," Star Tribune, Aug. 23, 2007. Columnist Cummins writes, "Juut's approach would likely have limited reception beyond certain service businesses, said David Brennan, co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas." https://www.startribune.com/168/story/1378088.html
- "Shooter," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 23, 2007. Sports columnist Charley ("Shooter") Walters writes, "A perpetual rumor in college softball circles is that University of St. Thomas coach John Tschida is headed to the Gophers. It isn't true; Tschida says he isn't going anywhere. But if he wanted a new challenge, it's a good bet Tschida could just about have his choice of jobs. Tschida, 39, is the John Gagliardi of Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference softball. He has coached St. Mary's in Winona to a national softball title and twice done the same with St. Thomas. His 13-year career won-lost coaching record is 491-87, and in the MIAC, it's 270-23. This week, Tschida was asked if he would be interested in coaching the Chinese team in next year's Olympics in Beijing. The offer was lucrative, and if Tschida were interested, the deal could have paid considerably more, excluding bonuses, than his salary at St. Thomas. He said no thanks. 'I'm not a money person,' he said. Then he laughed. 'But for a million dollars, I probably would have,' he said. Besides, Tschida has never been to China. Nor Australia. But immediately after finishing the call from China, the phone rang again. It was a call from an Australian official wanting him to help conduct international softball clinics in Sydney. Because it's for only a week, he said yes. He leaves Monday. In January, Tschida will conduct clinics in Italy. Last year, he was offered a job coaching the Canadian softball team for the Olympics in Beijing. He said no thanks. 'China would have been a neat experience, and if all I was worried about was moving on from St. Thomas, I would have taken it,' Tschida said. 'But I want to coach at St. Thomas.'" https://www.twincities.com//ci_6693529
- "Woman allegedly raped in St. Paul as bystanders look on," KARE-TV, Aug. 23, 2007. Dr. John Tauer, of the College of Arts and Sciences' Psychology Department, explains something called "the bystander effect." CNN.com also picked up this story. https://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=263021
- "Obituary: Gene Olive, baseball coach at Richfield," Star Tribune, Aug. 24, 2007. " In 1951, he earned his bachelor's degree in education at St. Paul's College of St. Thomas. In the late 1950s, he earned a master's in education at St. Thomas." https://www.startribune.com/466/story/1379989.html
- "Hudson: Interim police chief named," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 24, 2007. "[Eric Atkinson] graduated from Hudson High School and earned a bachelor's degree in sociology from the University of Wisconsin-River Falls and a master's degree in police leadership and administration from the University of St. Thomas." https://www.twincities.com/ci_6704044