UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you're welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries' Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- " St. Thomas keeps a place at the table for the archbishop," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 24, 2008. https://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_10541464
- "5 steps to finding out if a trade-in is worth it," MSN Real Estate, Sept. 24, 2008. "Sometimes they're called guaranteed sales plans, says Tom Musil, director of the Shenehon Center for Real Estate at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis. When they're offered, it's usually on new homes or a buy-build contract in which you purchase a developed subdivision lot where a builder constructs one of several packaged home designs for you." https://realestate.msn.com/Buying/Article2.aspx?cp-documentid=8699430
- "Measuring Coffee: Getting The Pour You Paid For," CBS-11, Dallas-Fort Worth, and 10 other outlets, Sept. 24, 2008. Terri Gruca of WCCO-TV, Minneapolis, reported this story, which CBS distributed nationally. "The large cups came up short, however. Instead of 20 ounces of coffee, they only held 18 ounces. 'That, to me, (this) seems very unusual,' said David Brennan, the co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas. 'Usually, you would expect it would be on the smallest cup. Certainly the customer is getting shortchanged and that's the bottom line,' he said." https://cbs11tv.com/consumer/measuring.coffee.cups.2.824390.html
- "Manufacturers bide time, bite their nails," Star Tribune, Sept. 24, 2008. "Fred Zimmerman, retired University of St. Thomas manufacturing professor, hopes Ajax is right, but said: 'I am worried about manufacturing because the demand is likely to drop.'" https://www.startribune.com/business/29725044.html
- "Our archdiocese is blessed with two fine seminaries," The Catholic Spirit, Sept. 24, 2008. Archbishop John Nienstedt writes about the St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity and St. John Vianney College Seminary. https://thecatholicspirit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=504&Itemid=108
- See also: The Catholic Spirit published a Sept. 24 special section on the St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity. https://thecatholicspirit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=496&Itemid=153
- "Why do CEOs make so much?" MinnPost, Sept. 25, 2008. "[W]e talked with three CEO-compensation experts at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul … ."
- "Extra: Boutique hotels redefine downtown scene," KARE-TV, Sept. 24, 2008. "'The amenities of having the best location, the best service, the best restaurant beat your competition has to be present in order to be successful,' says University of St. Thomas real estate professor Dr. Thomas Musil. 'There's an opportunity for this niche market that's not being met. That's why we're seeing the development of these types of hotels. People want to stay in something a little different. They want to stay in a hotel that might have a combination of condominium units and hotel rooms along with the other workout rooms, nice restaurant, concierge service, parking service and the like to add to their experience as a tourist.'" https://www.kare11.com/news/investigative/extras/extra_article.aspx?storyid=525179
- "Petters asks employees to 'move forward' after raid," KARE-TV, Sept. 25, 2008. "While we don't know what the federal investigation is all about, University of St. Thomas business professor David Brennan says many groups have a stake in this. 'Certainly it's customers that have purchased product or services yet to be delivered. I think has got to be a concern. I think if you're an employee, that has to be a concern. What's going on? If you're a financial institution and you have provided funds, that is certainly a major consideration as well,' says Brennan." https://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=525429
- "Top execs bullish on Northern Oil's future," Sept. 26, 2008. "[Michael] Reger, 32, who owns 15 percent of Northern, is a University of St. Thomas graduate who hails from a Great Plains family that has been involved in leasing and exploration of the Williston Basin for more than half a century." https://www.startribune.com/business/29825829.html
- "Not everyone agrees that bailout will boost small business loans," Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, Sept. 26, 2008. David Vang, finance department chair at the University of St. Thomas’ Opus College of Business in Minneapolis, agreed that the bailout will help — just not right away. “I think it will trickle down to small businesses, but it will take months before they see the effects. Banks are going to have to build up their reserves and their capital again to really start being lenders.” https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2008/09/29/story5.html
- "Bailout prospects fade Thursday after promising start," KARE-TV, Sept. 26, 2008. "David Vang says it will take more than all of this rescue money for the bad behavior to end. 'We may have to have some stricter regulations in the long term,' he said." https://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=525420
- "Students gather to watch presidential debate," Minnesota Daily,
Sept. 28, 2008. "Travis Symoniak , a University of St. Thomas senior and head of Youth for McCain in Minnesota , said it was McCain, not Obama, who had the better debate. 'I know he has great foreign policy credentials,' he said of McCain. 'He knows what he’s talking about when it comes to foreign policy.' As a whole, Symoniak said he hopes the next debates focus more on policy and lessen what he thought was bickering between the candidates. 'I really hope they just focus on the issues,' he said. 'I hope they stay to what they believe in. I think there is a little too much bickering on both sides.'"
- " Minnesota authors write for all ages," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 28, 2008. " University of St. Thomas English professor [Dr. Heather] Bouwman's debut novel is young-adult fantasy with an edge." https://www.twincities.com/entertainment/ci_10556869
- "Ask an outside consultant," Sept. 29, 2008. This weekly column features experts from UST's Opus College of Business. https://www.startribune.com/business/29816609.html
- "Students take a crash course in Trayless Dining 101," Star Tribune, Sept. 30, 2008. "Hamline, Concordia-St. Paul and Southwest Minnesota State in Marshall have removed all trays from cafeterias. Augsburg, Macalester and Winona State have programs in which trays are eliminated or discouraged one day a week. Other schools, including St. Thomas, Minnesota-Morris and Minnesota State Moorhead are considering whether to put their trays away." https://www.startribune.com/local/29918804.html
- " Madison, Wis. / Charges: Prof hacked ex-lover's e-mail," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Sept. 30, 2008. A former member of the St. Thomas faculty faces federal charges in the case. https://www.twincities.com/minneapolis/ci_10595687
- "Seven college art tour to include Saint John’s Bible prints," The Catholic Spirit, Sept. 30, 2008. https://thecatholicspirit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=530&Itemid=45