Here's a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to "archive" status, and if links have expired, you're welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries' Web site. In some cases, you'll need to register on the publication's Web site in order to access full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- "Grad student cites protecting subjects as reason not to testify," Daily Iowan, Dec. 9, 2009. "As a graduate student in sociology at the University of Minnesota, [Scott] DeMuth has interviewed people involved in activism and those conversations are protected by confidentiality agreements – upholding this confidentiality is the reason he didn’t testify, he said. A sociologist who testifies before a grand jury would likely lose all credibility in her or his field, said Lisa Waldner, a professor at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., where DeMuth conducted research as an undergraduate student. 'If he wants to go in front of a grand jury and spill his guts, it would create a huge problem,' she said. 'He could never again do research as a sociologist.'”
- $800,000 in NEA grants goes to Minnesota," Star Tribune, Dec. 9, 2009. Among the recipients of literature fellowships: Dr. Matthew Batt of the St. Thomas English Department.
- “For Central Bank, failed banks = fast growth,” Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, Dec. 11, 2009. “‘I do think there will be more failures,’ said David Vang, chairman of the finance department at the University of St. Thomas. ‘The whole financial crisis is so huge, it’s going to take a year or two for everything to shake out.’”
- "Students in the news," Freeport (Ill.) Journal-Standard, Dec. 11, 2009. "Jessica Martin of Freeport, student at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., was among the performers at the university’s annual Christmas concert."
- "Meet Duluth's newest bishop," Duluth News Tribune, Dec. 15, 2009. Bishop Paul Sirba explains, "I met Pope Benedict XVI when he was Cardinal Ratzinger and he came to the University of St. Thomas in 1984 (where Sirba was a seminarian)."
- "Longtime Tommies baseball coach retiring," Minnesota Public Radio, Dec. 15, 2009.
- See also: "St. Thomas baseball coach to step down," Star Tribune, Dec. 15, 2009.
- See also: "St. Thomas baseball coach Dennis Denning retires, WCCO-TV, Dec. 15, 2009. Here's the Associated Press story.
- "3 a.m. and can't sleep? Go shopping at Rosedale Macy's," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 16, 2009. “David Brennan, co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas, thinks the move isn't just a public-relations stunt. ‘First of all, there's a lot of people waiting, waiting for the right deals, and the procrastinators, and I think it appeals to both groups of people,’ he said.”
- "Digital Envelope Press Helps In-plant Move Away From Offset," In-plant Graphics newsletter, Nov. 1, 2009. “Like many in-plants, the Printing and Mailing Services department at the University of St. Thomas, in St. Paul, Minn., is in the midst of a digital transition. ... ”