Accounts Payable tip of the week: More about Employee Expense Reports
Here are some more tips to keep in mind when completing an Employee Expense Report (also see the tips published in the Bulletin Today on Sept. 26). Following these guidelines will speed up the processing of your reimbursement request.
Original detailed receipts must be submitted for all reimbursements. Copies of receipts are not sufficient documentation.
- Substantiation must be provided to show both proof of purchase and proof of payment.
- Sometimes an original receipt will not show the method of payment. In those situations, the employee must also provide proof of payment by either:
a) Providing a copy of a canceled check, or
b) Providing a copy of a credit-card statement.
In addition to the date and amount, the following information must be provided to establish the "business" reason of the expense.
Include these things:
- Who – People associated with the expense.
- What – What was purchased.
- Where – Where the expense took place.
- Why – Reason why the expense was incurred.
The complete UST Employee Reimbursement Policy resides on the Accounts Payable Web site.
If you have questions, please contact Accounts Payable, (651) 962-6375.