Bike Share program is up and rolling
The Wellness Center and BEAST (Bike Enthusiasts At St. Thomas) have reopened the Bike Share program to provide bike rentals to UST students, faculty and staff. The program allows anyone who needs access to a bike the ability to check one out for five days – with a bike lock and helmet – free of charge.
A variety of bikes are available for rental, including: road bikes, single speeds, cruisers, mountain bikes and hybrids. For pictures of the bikes, visit the BEAST Web site. To pick up the bike, go to the Wellness Center, located in Room 13, lower level, Koch Commons, and bring a UST ID.
At check-in, choose from the available BEAST bikes (located on a bike rack on the Morrison Hall patio). Bike, lock and helmet must be returned within five days. Late fees will be enforced. Riders need to sign a waiver, which also are available at the Wellness Center.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Follow the traffic laws.
- Wear brightly colored clothing that is noticeable to others on the road.
- Reflective clothing is necessary for night riding.
- Avoid wearing sandals, flip-flops, heels and cleats – wear tennis shoes.
- Be careful of loose pant legs, backpack straps and shoelaces that can get caught in the chain.
- Always ride on the right side of the road.
- Never ride against traffic.
- Use bike lanes whenever possible.
- Learn the proper hand signals for turning and stopping.