Election Day is tomorrow; here

Election Day is tomorrow; here’s voting information for students

Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 8, and University of St. Thomas students are encouraged to let their voice be heard by exercising their right to vote. The polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Voters will cast ballots for city officers and school board members.    

Students living on campus
St. Thomas students who live on the “north” campus in St. Paul will vote at St. Mark’s School at Marshall and Prior avenues.

St. Thomas students who live on the “south” campus in St. Paul will vote at Groveland Recreation Center, 2045 St. Clair Ave., a little east of Cleveland Avenue. This includes students that live in the Grand Avenue Apartments and the Child Development Center Residence Hall.

A list of all students living on campus has been sent to county election officials. In order to vote, students will need to show their St. Thomas ID card to election judges at the correct polling locations mentioned above.

The All College Council will sponsor a shuttle bus to those two polling locations from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. The free bus will stop in front of the arches on Summit Avenue every 30 minutes. Free juice and cookies will be served at the bus stop.

Students living off campus
You will need to locate the polling place for your local address. To do so:

  • Log on to the Minnesota Secretary of State's Web site and enter your address. The site will give you the address of your polling location or
  • Stop by the Dean of Students Office, Room 101, Murray-Herrick Campus Center, for assistance.

You can register on the day of the election at your polling place. You will need one of the following:

  • A current Minnesota driver's license or identification card with your local address.
  • If your Minnesota license or ID card has a former address, you may bring a recent utility bill to use with your license. The utility bill must have your name, current address, and be due within 30 days of the election. Utility bills may be for electric, gas, water, solid waste, sewer, telephone or cable TV.
  • A student photo ID and a utility bill.
  • A U.S. passport or military ID card and a utility bill.
  • A "Notice of Ineffective Registration" card mailed to you by your county auditor (if you turned in a registration card late).
  • Someone who is registered in the precinct where you live to vouch for you at the polling place.
  • Your student photo ID, registration, or fee statement with your current address.

If your voting location is at St. Mark’s School or Groveland Recreation Center, use the free shuttle service offered by the All College Council.