Free student retreat on designing products for the elderly is Feb. 16-18
Sponsored by the UST Career to Calling Program, Dr. Roxanne Prichard, Psychology, and Dr. AnnMarie Thomas, Engineering, will host a three-day retreat for students on "Design for an Aging Population" Feb. 16-18.
At this free retreat, you will learn the design process, create ideas for new products and work in teams to create a presentation on your idea. You also will examine the moral and ethical issues inherent to designing products for the elderly. Guest speakers will include a local inventor and an employee of Catholic Eldercare.
Students from all majors are invited and no experience in design or eldercare is needed. The retreat will be held at the Gainey Conference Center in Owatonna, Minn., and there will be no cost for student participants.
- What is design?
- Why should we care about design for the elderly?
- How do you come up with ideas for new products?
If you are interested in applying for this program, e-mail Thomas with the following information:
- Your name, major and expected graduation year
- A few sentences explaining why you are interested in the retreat
- A few sentences identifying one challenge faced by the elderly or their caretakers on which you would be interested to work
Applications are due by 5 p.m. Friday, Jan. 26, 2007, and accepted students will be notified by Tuesday, Jan. 30.