History research paper contest could net you $100
The History Department is holding a John Ireland History Research Paper Contest for papers written in 2005. Two awards, $100 each, will be announced in March 2006.
One prize will be awarded for the best UST history research seminar paper.
One prize will be awarded for the best history research paper written for any UST history course other than a history research seminar course.
Papers must be:
- Written during the 2005 calendar year
- Written by UST sophomores, juniors or seniors
Criteria for judging papers will include:
- Depth and breadth of research
- Originality of topic and interpretation
- Quality of writing
- Use of evidence
- Development of interpretation
- Bibliography should include ALL primary collections examined
- Either a history research paper or historiographical paper will be considered
- Primary sources desirable
- 15-page minimum
- Format includes “Title Page” with paper title, course number, semester, student name, address, phone number, and e-mail address
- Text should have page numbers with headers including an abbreviated title of the paper (but no identifying information about the author should be included in the text, headers or footers)
- Paper will be submitted along with the submission form to the History Department administrator in Room 413, John R. Roach Center for the Liberal Arts. You can pick up a form in the same office.