Hurricane Katrina relief: Here's how you can help
If you've been wondering how you can help those devastated by Hurricane Katrina, consider donating to Hurricane Katrina Relief Challenge initiated by UST's Enrollment Services to raise $5,000.
Other fund-raising efforts at St. Thomas include a Mardi Gras event and a special collection at Masses. (See below.) If you are a student, faculty or staff member who is planning other hurricane relief efforts, please send your information to Bulletin Today.
The Enrollment Services Division (Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid) challenges the UST community to raise $5,000 by Sept. 23 to go to the American Red Cross Hurricane Katrina Response Fund to help those affected by this crisis.
- You may send your check (made out to the American Red Cross Hurricane Katrina Response Fund) to the Financial Aid Office, Mail Foley 100, or bring your check or cash to any of the following locations:
- Financial Aid Office – St. Paul: Room 100, Foley Theater
- Financial Aid Office – Minneapolis: Room 110, Terrence Murphy Hall
- Undergraduate Admissions, 32 S. Finn St., St. Paul
- Room 121, Aquinas Hall, St. Paul
- You also may drop your donation into a collection bucket. Buckets will be available throughout campus until Friday, Sept. 23. If you want a receipt for your donation, do not put your funds in a bucket.
- Or, plan to stop by the table in the quad from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 14, and drop your donation into the big bucket.
Remember: 100 percent of all funds raised will be given directly to the American Red Cross Katrina Response Fund.
If experiencing the joy of giving is not enough for you, how would you like another incentive? If the St. Thomas community raises $5,000 by Sept. 23, members of the senior administration will serve the community ice cream treats from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Sept. 26, in the quad (rain site will be Campus Square, lower level of Murray-Herrick Campus Center).
For more information about the American Red Cross, please call 1 (800) 797-8022.
The UST community is well-known for its caring and generous nature. Let’s reach out and help those who are so in need.
More than $910 donated in special collection at Mass
A special collection taken at the 5 p.m. Mass Sept. 4 in the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas raised $910.56 for the 2005 Hurricane Relief Fund sponsored by Catholic Charities. About 385 people were in attendance. Archbishop Harry Flynn, who had served as bishop in the Diocese of Lafayette, La., before coming to Minnesota, had sent parishes a letter asking for donations to Catholic Charities for "his people" in Louisiana.
A special collection again will be taken at the Opening Mass at 11 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 11, in the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas.
VIA-VISION students plan a Mardi Gras-themed fund-raiser
Mark the evening of Sept. 15 on your calendar for a fund-raising event. Even though it's a Thursday, the event will have a Mardi Gras ("Fat Tuesday") theme. Live music and cajun food are planned. Students from two groups, Volunteers In Action and Volunteers In Service Internationally Or Nationally, are hosting the event. More details will be forthcoming.