IRT announces ODS 3.1.1 and Banner hardware upgrades this weekend
From Information Resources and Technologies
SunGard Higher Education has released ODS 3.1.1, and IRT has acquired new server hardware for the Banner and ODS systems. Both upgrades require a Banner Production outage and a full data load of ODSP. The upgrades are being combined to minimize system down-time for the user community.
These upgrades will help ensure continued system stability, bringing with them improved and extended functionality.
The Enterprise Working Group and the Cognos Users Group have chosen the weekend of May 10-11 for the upgrades, which will result in a required Banner system outage Saturday, May 10.
What this means to you
- Banner Production will be unavailable starting at midnight Friday, May 9. Banner Production will return to normal service on a new server by 6 a.m. Sunday, May 11.
- Appworx will be unavailable from midnight Friday, May 9 until 6 a.m. Sunday, May 11. Please reschedule your chains accordingly.
- ODSP will contain static data from Banner Production as of the end of Friday, May 9, and will be available Saturday, May 10 until 6 a.m. Wednesday, May 14, while the load of ODS 3.1.1 is performed for the new ODSP on a new server.
- Regular nightly refreshes of ODSP upgraded to version 3.1.1 on the new server will resume Thursday, May 15.
What should you do?
Please schedule your work in Banner and Cognos with these outages in mind.
For the convenience of our users, IRT will copy Friday night's back up of Banner Production to the TRNG instance, and ODSP will go through its regular refresh process early Saturday, May 10. TRNG and ODSP will be available for view access while the upgrades are performed. Both systems will reflect Banner Production as of May 9.
What you will notice after the upgrade
The ODS 3.1.1 upgrade brings many enhancements for our users, which include:
- New Module specific fields (see module release guides for more information)
- More indexing to improve performance of reporting views
- Problem resolution (see module release guides for more information)
- Improved metadata documentation linking ODS views and columns to Banner forms and fields
To learn more about changes that come with the ODS 3.1.1 upgrade, visit the ODS – Operational Data Store page on the IRT Web site.
If you have questions about this upgrade, contact the Tech Desk, (651) 962-6230.