Macalester students robbed at gunpoint last week
The University of St. Thomas Public Safety Department shares the following safety alert from the Macalester College Safety and Security Office:
At about 11 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 15, four Macalester students were held up and robbed at gunpoint on Macalester Street. The perpetrators left the Macalester campus by driving west on Lincoln Avenue in an older model sedan. None of the students was physically harmed. It appears the perpetrators may have been waiting along Macalester Street or in the Jane Wallace Fine Arts north parking lot before they followed the victims. The St. Paul Police were called and a report was taken. An investigation is under way.
The victims describe the perpetrator as a male with a dark complexion, in his early 20s, with slim build and medium height, and wearing canvas shoes, blue jeans, a green puffy jacket and a gray cap. The weapon was described as a small, silver handgun.
The vehicle was described as an older model sedan, dark gray or black in color, with a dent on the side and back end. Its driver was not seen.
If you have any information about this incident, please call the St. Paul Police, (651) 291-1111, or Macalester Safety and Security, (651) 696-5555.
Here are some safety tips from UST's Public Safety Department:
- Call Public Safety to escort you to your destination.
- Walk in groups – there is safety in numbers.
- Don’t take unnecessary risks. Stay in populated, well-lighted areas.
- Report crimes immediately to Public Safety and the police.
- Remember suspect information, including approximate age, height, weight and details on hair, clothing, jewelry, scars, tattoos – anything noticeable.
- Use a buddy system with your trusted friends to watch out for one another.
- Do not wear earphones when walking or running alone outside, especially if it is dark. This potentially cuts off audible signals of threats to your safety.