New student health insurance plan available fall 2009
By Madonna McDermott
Director, Student Health Service and Wellness Center
A new health insurance plan for University of St. Thomas students will be available beginning fall 2009. UST has partnered with Aetna Student Health to provide students with an affordable, quality health insurance plan option.
The Student Health Insurance plan will cost $429 per semester. If you already have coverage under your parents' or another plan, you are encouraged to review your plan to determine if it has comparative health coverage while at UST.
Consider these questions regarding your current policy:
- Does the policy cover nonemergency care away from your home area?
- Does your plan offer a national prescription drug card?
- Can you visit any provider without a referral?
- Does it have continuation coverage after graduation?
- Will it cover you while studying abroad?
Highlights of the 2009-10 plan through Aetna Student Health include:
- $1,000,000 coverage
- No deductible
- Maximum $5,000 out-of-pocket expense
- Five visits per year covered at 100 percent for care received at the UST Student Health Service
- Prescription coverage plan
- Access to local and national preferred providers
- Access to vision, fitness and alternative health care discount programs
- Travel assistance service and worldwide medical coverage while studying abroad
- 24-hour nurse telephone line
- Disease management program
More details about the new Aetna Student Health Insurance will be mailed this summer and will be available on the Student Health Web site. Online enrollment will open Aug. 1, 2009, via UST Murphy Online, with a coverage effective date of Aug. 15, 2009.
For more information, contact the UST Student Health Insurance Office, (651) 962-6752.