Nominate a student for the Stacy Danner –Commitment to Diversity Award
The National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) invites you to nominate students for the Stacey Danner – Commitment to Diversity Award, which will be presented at the Eagle (Experiencing a Greater Living Environment) awards banquet.
Nominations will be accepted until 4:30 p.m. Friday, April 20. Pick up a form at the Residence Life Office, Room 106, Koch Commons, or request a form via e-mail to Lesley Wyckoff. Return all nomination forms to: Mail # 0571 or Wyckoff.
In spring 1993, student Stacey Danner and Jon Grutzner, Brady Hall director, started the Commitment to Diversity program to help create an environment in the residence halls and across campus that is more welcoming and comfortable for students of all colors. Danner went on to become a resident adviser in Ireland Hall (1994-1995) and the operations manager in Brady Hall (1995-1996).
In its first year, Commitment to Diversity concentrated on making a positive change in the halls through support systems, educational programming and cultural social events. Now in its 10th year, the program continues to strive toward creating a comfortable environment for all people in the residence halls. Most recently, the group has focused programming toward the "isms": racism, heterosexism and sexism.
Through Danner's involvement on campus and in Residence Life, Commitment to Diversity continued to enhance its purpose. Upon his graduation from St. Thomas in spring 1996, Danner was recognized for his personal commitment to diversity and the award was named in his honor.
Following is the description of a qualified nominee for the Stacey Danner – Commitment to Diversity Award.
- Has made an outstanding contribution to the University of St. Thomas residence halls in the area of diversity.
- Has been a role model in his or her own life by making a commitment to diversity on all levels above and beyond their self-interests.
- Has been involved outside the residence halls (campuswide or communitywide).
- Has shown leadership in their commitment to diversity in the residence halls, on campus or in the community.
- Has lived on campus during his or her time as a student at St. Thomas.