Red Cross Blood Drive is April 10-11 here
The American Red Cross Blood Drive is back; make an appointment today! Log on to the Give Life Web page and create a new profile. Use the sponsor code: ustthomas.
The drive will be held from 10 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, April 10 and 11, in Room 304, Murray-Herrick Campus Center .
Top 10 reasons to give blood:
- You will get free juice and cookies.
- You will weigh less – one pint less – when you leave than when you came in.
- It's easy and convenient – it only takes about an hour and you can make the donation at St. Thomas ' blood drive April 10 and 11, at a donor center, or at one of the many Red Cross mobile blood drives.
- It's something you can spare – most people have blood to spare, yet there is still not enough to go around.
- Nobody can ask you to do any heavy lifting as long as you have the bandage on. You can wear it for as long as you like. It's your badge of honor.
- You will walk a little taller afterward – you will feel good about yourself.
- You will be helping to ensure that blood is there when you or someone close to you may need it. Most people don't think they'll ever need blood, but many do.
- It's something you can do on equal footing with the rich and famous – blood is something money can't buy. Only something one person can give to another.
- You will be someone's hero – you may give a newborn, a child, a mother or a father, a brother, or a sister another chance at life. In fact, you may help save up to three lives with just one donation.
- It's the right thing to do.
To give blood for transfusion to another person, you must be healthy, be at least 17 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds, and not have donated blood in the last eight weeks (56 days). "Healthy" means that you feel well and can perform normal activities. If you have a chronic condition such as diabetes or high blood pressure, "healthy" also means that you are being treated and the condition is under control.
If you're not sure whether you’ll be able to give, i.e., out of country travels, call 1 (800) GIVE LIFE or check the eligibility requirements to get answers to specific eligibility questions. Eligibility requirements also may vary for some states and blood centers. Final eligibility is determined by medical professionals at the time of donation.