The majority of this summer’s roster of construction projects at the University of St. Thomas will focus on maintaining, updating and restoring parts of the university. Scheduled projects are listed below. Construction may cause some parking lots and areas of certain buildings to close temporarily during the summer. Please view Facilities Management’s website to review an up-to-date project listing.
44 N. Cleveland
The Art History Department will move into 44 N. Cleveland Ave. on June 4. Repainting and flooring improvements are currently underway to complete the upgrades and maintenance.
- The exterior face of all the exterior windows will be prepped and repainted July 1-Aug. 21.
- Four areas of the exterior stone – two on the south and two on the north – will be repointed.
- In an effort to expand the space of the Controller and Human Resources offices, Accounts Payable will move to Rooms 302 and 304, and Purchasing to 301 and 303. Payroll will move to 202 and 204, and HR to 201 and 203.
Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas
- Drainage will be improved between the east side of the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas and the Faculty Residence. The storm sewer will be extended into the area and the surface grading altered. Additionally, landscaping will be updated on the east side of the chapel as well as the north and west side of Faculty Residence. The project tentatively will start July 1 and finish Aug. 28.
Facilities and Design Center
- The site for the recycling and waste compactors, between Anderson Parking Facility and McCarthy Gym, will be prepared late May with the compactors delivered by early July as St. Thomas moves to single-sort recycling and centralized waste management. Completion date is Aug. 1.
- New lighting and window treatments will be installed June 5-19 in the exhibition area on the center’s third floor.
- Stone work will be completed at the front entry June 1-July 1. The front entry will be closed during this time.
John R. Roach Center
- The exterior face of all the exterior windows will be prepped and repainted June 1-July 10.
Murray-Herrick Campus Center
- New carpet will be installed in the Bookstore, beginning and ending in July.
- The final phase of updating the restrooms will begin mid-June and be completed Aug. 21. The lower-level men’s and women’s restrooms, as well as the men’s restroom on the third floor, will be updated similar to the first- and second-floor project last summer.
Owens Science Hall – chemistry remodel
- Modifications will be made to Rooms 469, 472, 473, 474 and 475. Project start date to be determined.
- The exterior brick of the original Sitzmann building will be repointed. Project is underway and expected to be completed July 24.
- A new University of St. Thomas monument will be installed on the corner of Grand and Cretin avenues from May 26-July 17. The monument will be similar to the monument on Cretin and Goodrich.
- New sidewalks will be installed east of O’Shaughnessy Educational Center, and east and west of Owens Science Hall during June.
- Parking lot repairs and maintenance will occur across campus, with areas to be determined.
- The landscape planter located southwest of the Cretin Avenue and Summit Avenue intersection, as well as the planter located southwest of Cleveland and Summit, will be modified. Stamped concrete will fill the current planter area with decorative precast planters sitting on the concrete. This will allow for all-season plantings.
- Other projects to be announced in June.