UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- "Humanae Vitae on Campus," National Catholic Register, July 15, 2008. " A group of 14 scholars recently gathered at the St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity in St. Paul, Minn., for a private academic conference and public forum on “Humanae Vitae, the Person and the Thought of John Paul II.” Some see the scholarly attention as a rebirth of sorts." http://ncregister.com/site/article/15453
- "Minneapolis to put best face forward for GOP convention," Star Tribune, Aug. 7, 2008. "’We may be in the middle of the country, but we’re not middle of the road,’ Cyndi Lesher, president of convention’s local host committee, said during a public meeting at the University of St. Thomas’ downtown Minneapolis campus. ‘In  days, the whole world will know that.'” http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/conventions/26363059.html?elr=KArksUUUU
- "Hip to be Square ( Lake)," Star Tribune, Aug. 10, 2008. For the past six years, Paul Creager has staged a film and music festival on his hobby farm north of Stillwater on Square Lake … . After graduating from the University of St. Thomas, he taught English in Japan, where he attended several "small and spontaneous" outdoor music events, which, along with a new appreciation of how unique his home was, inspired him to begin the festival in 2001." http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/26391984.html
- "Outside consultant: Future of newsletters?" Star Tribune, Aug. 11, 2008. Here’s the weekly column featuring experts from St. Thomas’ Opus College of Business. http://www.startribune.com/business/26428139.html
- " KARE’s Greg Vandegrift moves on to teaching career," KARE-11, Aug. 12, 2008. He’s joining the faculty at St. Thomas. http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=521556&catid=2
- "Administration Degree Programs For Healthcare," Star Tribune, Aug. 12, 2008. http://www.startribune.com/jobs/healthcare/25869959.html
- "Ariens elected to Packers Executive Committee," Green Bay Press-Gazette, Aug. 13, 2008. Dan Ariens is a 1981 St. Thomas alumnus. http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080813/GPG0101/808130650/1978/GPGnews
- "Retailers glum over slow sales for school," The (Gaithersburg, Md.) Gazette, Aug. 15, 2008. "David P. Brennan, a marketing professor and co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., said shoppers are focusing more on what they truly need and reusing anything they can, especially clothes. He called the predicted 24 percent plunge significant." http://www.gazette.net/stories/08152008/businew181109_32457.shtml
- "Bush Nominates University of Arkansas Professor for Panel," University of Arkansas, Aug. 14, 2008. "Patrick Wolf, holder of an endowed chair in school choice at the University of Arkansas, has been nominated by President Bush to serve on the National Board for Education Sciences, a federal advisory board to the U.S. Department of Education. … Wolf taught public management at Columbia University prior to joining the Georgetown faculty. He completed his undergraduate degree at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., and he earned master’s and doctoral degrees from Harvard University." Wolf is a 1987 St. Thomas alumnus. http://dailyheadlines.uark.edu/13272.htm