UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- “Employees await news,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 8, 2004. “‘Guidant employees are probably wondering what will happen to their jobs,’ said Jack Militello, a professor of management at the University of St. Thomas College of Business. ” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/10363234.htm
- “Metro people: Marcia Reardon,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 8, 2004. “Reardon, 55, works with student teachers at the University of St. Thomas and the College of St. Catherine.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/ramsey_county/north_metro/10363509.htm
- “People in your neighborhood,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 8, 2004. Audrey Kintzi, chief advancement officer of the Girl Scout Council of St. Croix Valley, was named the 2004 Outstanding Professional Fund-raiser by the Minnesota chapter of the Association of Fund-raising Professionals and “also is on the faculty of the University of St. Thomas' Center for Nonprofit Management … .” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/washington_county/10363011.htm
- “Top science contest yields scholarship for Golden Valley teen,” Star Tribune, Dec. 9, 2004. Nicole Pranke's mother, Denise Pranke, is an adjunct instructor at the University of St. Thomas, where “she helps students hone their math skills before they take advanced statistics classes.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/1592/5127550.html
- “To do tonight,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 9, 2004. “Award-winning playwright/actress Anna Deveare Smith – who has appeared on television ( "The West Wing," "The Practice") and in movies ("Dave," "Philadelphia," "An American President" and "The Human Stain") – talks about her eclectic career at O'Shaughnessy Education [sic] Center at the University of St. Thomas, 7:30 p.m.; 2115 Summit Ave., St. Paul; free.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/10370611.htm
- “Man's arrest follows campus sex offense,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 9, 2004. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/10372169.htm
- “With renewed concern for ethics, companies curb holiday gifts,” Newhouse News Service, Dec. 10, 2004. Here’s a story now available for national distribution that mentions the UST-based Center for Ethical Business Cultures. https://www.newhousenews.com/archive/lewis121004.html
- “Art calendar,” Star Tribune, Dec. 10, 2004. https://www.startribune.com/stories/389/5124660-2.html
- “Classical music calendar,” Star Tribune, Dec. 10, 2004. https://www.startribune.com/stories/389/5124269.html
- “To buy or not to buy ...” Star Tribune, Dec. 11, 2004. “‘Minneapolis is a lovely place for buying because it's so boring. It doesn't have peaks and troughs that other markets have, and that's good from a personal standpoint,’ said George Karvel, professor and holder of the Distinguished Chair in Real Estate at the University of St. Thomas.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/417/5127605-2.html
- “Top execs seem a little out of touch on business ethics,” San Diego ( Calif. ) Union-Tribune, Dec. 12, 2004. “Now, the Center for Ethical Business Cultures at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis is hoping to change that. It has developed an integrity study to help senior executives assess the ethical environment within their organizations.” https://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/kinsman/20041212-9999-1b12kinsman.html
- “The nonprofit 100: Diverging fortunes,” Star Tribune, Dec. 12, 2004. Business columnist Neal St. Anthony ’90 M.B.A., writes, “Revenue was flat at the University of St. Thomas in 2003, by far Minnesota's largest private college and dubbed ‘St. Thomas Inc.’ for its expanding program offerings and geographic growth in downtown Minneapolis and elsewhere. That was more than offset by revenue increases at the likes of Carleton (where the investment portfolio recovered from big prior-year losses), the College of St. Catherine, Hamline University, St. John's University and the College of St. Benedict.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/162/5129713-2.html
- “Buyin' large Metro malls at a glance,” Star Tribune, Dec. 12, 2004. "Today's consumer is increasingly becoming convenience- and destination-oriented," commented marketing professor Dr. Dave Brennan of the UST College of Business. https://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5131673.html
- “College sports,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 12, 2004. “Marla Richardson and Melanie Drake each scored two goals as St. Thomas blanked St. Mary's 7-0 in a Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference game at Winona, Minn. Katie Jetland needed to make only seven saves for the shutout.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/10396870.htm
- “Weekly planner,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 12, 2004. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/10389506.htm
- “Scorecard,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 12, 2004. Check scores here. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/10397465.htm
- “Business calendar,” Star Tribune, Dec. 13, 2004. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5131009.html
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, Dec. 13, 2004. Dr. Susan Heckler of the UST College of Business offers marketing advice. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5125315.html
- “Career calendar,” Star Tribune, Dec. 13, 2004. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5130973.html
- “Military recruiters at Hamline under fire,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 14, 2004. “Administrators at St. Thomas and Concordia universities and St. Olaf and Augsburg colleges said Monday there has been no push to ban military recruiters on their campuses.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/10410446.htm