UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Shifting into a higher gear, Allianz Life has grown quickly with annuities,” Star Tribune, Dec. 6, 2004. Here’s a story published last month; it profiles Allianz Life Insurance Co. and its CEO, UST trustee Mark Zesbaugh. While the story doesn’t mention St. Thomas, we thought you’d find it interesting. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5177862.html
- “Give your budget a workout,” Star Tribune, Dec. 31, 2004. “And as St. Thomas psychology Prof. John Tauer points out, making resolutions from the first of the year makes sense because ‘it's a concrete time when we stop and reflect.’” https://www.startribune.com/stories/148/5161694.html
- “After a rousing 2004, housing markets may cool,” Star Tribune, Jan. 8, 2005. “In the Twin Cities area, 2005 should usher in a relatively calm, slightly slower year for buyers and sellers, according to George Karvel, professor of real estate at the University of St. Thomas, who said people's fears of plummeting prices are unwarranted.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/417/5171498.html
- “U.S. added 2.2 million jobs in '04,” Star Tribune, Jan. 8, 2005. "I think better days are ahead within an envelope of continued uncertainty," said Fred Zimmerman, University of St. Thomas professor of engineering and technology management. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5175543.html
- “Love lore: Couples connect on campus,” St. Cloud Times, Jan. 9, 2005. Here’s a story about Johnnie-Bennie marriages, with some footnote info about marriages between St. Thomas and St. Catherine alums. https://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgibin/miva?CMN/Life/read_archive.mv+1+1+3
- “Area games,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 9, 2005. Here are weekend women’s hockey scores. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/10600256.htm
- “Schnettler lifts Tommies,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 9, 2005. Here’s a weekend men’s basketball game summary and notes on the women’s game, too. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/10600192.htm
- “Rudy's new world,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 9, 2005. Some of you might remember Ana Scofield, former UST staff member; her fiance is National Public Radio’s “Savvy Traveler,” Rudy Maxa. Here’s a story about the couple’s relocation to St. Paul. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/10583343.htm
- “In Depth: Executive of the Year/Cargill CEO Warren Staley/ Staley calls on his life's lessons to lead,” The Business Journal , Jan. 10, 2005. “‘He's a visionary leader that understands a good business must use its resources and profits responsibly wherever it operates,’ said the Rev. Dennis Dease, president of the University of St. Thomas. ‘His vast knowledge and understanding of global issues keeps Cargill not only competitive in the world market, but usually one step ahead of its competitors.’ … When he became CEO, Staley also took it upon himself to make Cargill better known in the Twin Cities community. He vowed to give his time and talents to nonprofit organizations and boards of other local corporations. He's now a member of the board of directors at U.S. Bancorp and Target Corp., while also serving as chairman on the board of the Greater Twin Cities United Way. Staley is a member of President Bush's Export Council, The Business Council and the Strategic Board of Governors for the University of St. Thomas College of Business.” https://twincities.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2005/01/10/focus1.html
- “Staley's strong work ethic carries over to civic involvement,” The Business Journal , Jan. 10, 2005. “‘I know through his leadership at Cargill, he has shown he is committed to enhancing Cargill's philanthropic work and community involvement,’ said Rev. Dennis Dease, president of the University of St. Thomas. Staley also participates as a member of the board of directors for U.S. Bancorp and Target Corp., chairman of the board of the Greater Twin Cities United Way and a member of the President's Export Council and Strategic Board of Governors at the University of St. Thomas College of Business. He served on the board of the Minnesota Private College Council for six years.” https://twincities.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2005/01/10/focus2.html
- “Painting the future: Workshop panel debates whether JIT Powder Coating should expand,” The Business Journal,” Jan. 10, 2005. “Although expanding will likely add to Milner's revenues, it will add to his costs, pointed out Fred Zimmerman, Ph.D. and professor of engineering and technology management at the University of St. Thomas.” https://twincities.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2005/01/10/smallb1.html
- “Memories by the scoopful,” Star Tribune, Jan. 10, 2005. “Ron Wolff, vice president of IQ Marketing and an instructor at the University of St. Thomas College of Business, said: ‘You have to respect the passion involved in quitting the corporate job and following your dream, but can your passion overcome tough economic realities?’” https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5175137.html
- “Roundy's has big plans for Rainbow Food stores,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 11, 2005. D
ave Brennan, co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at St. Thomas, comments. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/10613752.htm
- “St. Thomas men dominating MIAC,” Star Tribune, Jan. 12, 2005. “The St. Thomas men's basketball team is off to its best start in the MIAC in 10 years.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5181491.html
- “Playing with the big boys,” Star Tribune, Jan. 12, 2005. St. Thomas Academy ’s hockey coaches are brothers Tom and Greg Vannelli. Greg is a St. Thomas alumnus. The Cadets and the Tommies share the new St. Thomas Ice Arena that opened in 2003. https://www.startribune.com/stories/332/5178647.html
- “Montessori school hires director,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 12, 2005. John Kupris, a St. Thomas alumnus with a bachelor's degree in business administration and a master's degree in divinity, will direct St. Croix Academy Montessori School in West Lakeland Township. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/washington_county/10622899.htm
- “Shooter,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 13, 2005. Sports columnist Charley “Shooter” Walters notes, “Brothers Jack and Buzz Hannahan, who play in the Detroit Tigers' and Philadelphia Phillies' organizations, respectively, are conducting their ‘Camp Hannahan’ baseball instructional clinics Sundays at the University of St. Thomas' McCarthy Gym.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/10631113.htm
- “Obituary: James Thornton, computer pioneer,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 14, 2005. Thornton was a member of the UST board of trustees. Thornton Auditorium in Terrence Murphy Hall is named in his honor. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/10641464.htm