Dean of Students Office Lists Voter Registration, Absentee Voting Information

Students are encouraged to vote in the Nov. 4 election. Anyone who chooses to vote needs to be a registered voter in the precinct where they live. Minnesota has same-day registration.

A roster of all resident students, including St. John Vianney Seminary and the St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity, has been provided to county election officials. These students simply will need to show their student ID at their polling location to register to vote.

Students living on north campus vote in McNeely Hall (ward 4, precinct 6); students living on south and mid-campus vote at the Groveland Recreation Center, 2021 St. Clair Ave. (ward 4, precinct 7).

Students living off campus will need to locate the polling place for their local address by logging onto the Minnesota Secretary of State website and entering the address where they live during the academic year.

To register, off-campus students will need one document from each of the following two groups*:

GROUP A: Establishes Identity (must include your name and photo)

  • A driver's license, learner's permit, or identification card issued by the state of Minnesota or any other state of the United States with a previous address
  • United States Passport
  • United States Military ID Card
  • Tribal ID Card that contains your name, photo, and signature, from a tribe recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)
  • Minnesota high school/college/university ID card

GROUP B: Establishes Residency (must include your residential address in the precinct)

  • Original Bill (paper or electronic), including account statements and start-of-service notifications, with a due date 30 days before or after the election, or, for bills or notifications without a due date, dated within 30 days before Election Day: Gas, Electric, Solid waste, Water, Sewer, Phone, Cell phone, Television, Internet provider, Credit card, Banking services, Rent statement, Mortgage statement, Current student fee statement, Residential lease or rental agreement valid through Election Day.

*Source: Minnesota Secretary of State website.

Absentee Voting

If students choose to vote absentee, the easiest way is to do so in person at their county auditor’s office, or city or township clerk’s office. Students should contact their county auditor or city clerks for details.

To obtain an absentee ballot through the mail, students should contact their county auditor or city clerk. Their voted absentee ballot must be received in their precinct by Election Day when the polls close or it will not be counted.

If students have questions about registering to vote or their polling location, stop by the Dean of Students Office in Room 241, Anderson Student Center.