Fifteen law firms have donated more than $850,000 toward the establishment of scholarship funds in honor of the 10th anniversary of the University of St. Thomas School of Law.
The announcement was made by School of Law Dean Thomas Mengler at the school’s anniversary celebration Tuesday, Sept. 20. In his remarks, Mengler thanked the entire donor base which has contributed more than $100 million since St. Thomas re-established its School of Law 10 years ago.
“These scholarship funds will help us meet the needs of our students and help address the rising cost, which is a critical issue in legal education,” Mengler commented. “Our students, faculty and staff are grateful for the investment these firms have made in helping us prepare future professional leaders who will contribute their gifts to the community.”
The law firms that contributed are:
- Best & Flanagan L.L.P.
- Briggs and Morgan Foundation
- The Dorsey & Whitney Foundation
- Fafinski Mark & Johnson, P.A., and Robert '79 and Mary '81 Fafinski
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.
- Gray Plant Mooty
- Larkin Hoffman Daly & Lindgren Foundation
- Leonard, Street & Deinard
- Lommen, Abdo, Cole, King & Stageberg, P.A.
- Nilan Johnson Lewis, P.A.
- Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly L.L.P.
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
- Schwegman, Lundberg & Woessner
- Winthrop & Weinstine, P.A.
The event included comments from Father Dennis Dease, president of the university, and a prayer of gratitude by Father Reginald Whitt, a founding faculty member.
An entertaining evening was capped by a performance of songs written especially for the evening by Professor Tom Berg and his wife, Maureen. Highlight’s included “I’m a Mentor” with parody lyrics to the tune of “I’m a Pepper,” and “Be True to Your Law School” with parody lyrics to the Brian Wilson and Mike Love classic “Be True to Your School.”
Located on St. Thomas’ campus in downtown Minneapolis, the School of Law has an enrollment this fall of 482.