Senior Class Council sponsors fundraisers, march, luncheon for World AIDS Day
Saturday, Dec. 1, is World AIDS Day. The Undergraduate Student Government's Senior Class Council has sponsored activities and fundraisers this week to help promote awareness and fight the disease. You are invited to participate in the remaining events listed below.
All proceeds taken in during the week go toward the purchase of food parcels that UST students personally will take to Guguletu, South Africa, during January Term 2008. Every food parcel that will be delivered to Guguletu feeds a family of four that is living with AIDS – for an entire month! Each parcel costs $40, so every cent that you can give makes a difference.
Here are the events and promotions:
Today, Thursday, Nov. 29, at tables set up outside the Café, the Grill and the Binz Refectory:
- World Aids Day T-shirts will be sold for $5 and World Aids Day red ribbons will be sold for $1
- Guess how many jelly beans are in the jar: Buy tickets for $5 at the tables. For each ticket you buy, each student can guess how many jelly beans are in the jar on the table. Additionally, every ticket that you buy will be put into a drawing at the end of the week for some great prizes, such as digital cameras, DVD players, etc. The two closest guesses to the number of jelly beans in the jar will get a 40-inch flat-screen TV. Winners' names will be drawn Saturday, Dec. 1, at the World AIDS Day luncheon.
Saturday, Dec. 1 – World AIDS Day:
- UST students will lead a World Aids Day march from 11:30 a.m. to noon from the arches down Summit Avenue and back. Students are asked to wear red, if possible, and bring any signs that they wish encouraging support for World Aids Day. Some signs will be provided. At noon, upon returning from the march, students will be treated to a free luncheon in Room 304, Murray-Herrick Campus Center.
The luncheon will include:
– Free lasagna buffet and other refreshments
– Personal speech from a UST employee on how AIDS has affected her life
– Slide show, provided by the UST Wellness Center
- The $5 ticket sales and jelly-bean guesses will end at the luncheon at approximately 12:30 p.m. At the end of the luncheon, the winners of the jelly-bean guesses will be announced and the tickets will be drawn for the other prizes as well.
Sunday, Dec. 2:
All offerings from UST Masses will go to the World AIDS Day relief effort.