The International Education Center’s Study Abroad department was busy over the summer revising and building new processes to implement StudioAbroad, an Internet-based system that fully integrates with Banner.
Designed by Terra Dotta and used by study abroad offices across the country, StudioAbroad will manage all off-campus program information and provide an online application and approval environment for students, faculty and staff. Beginning with applicants for the undergraduate June 2012 courses and moving through program cycles through the academic year, StudioAbroad will support the St. Thomas community with:
- a searchable database of all UST- and non-UST approved off-campus programs;
- access to budget information for individual programs;
- online submission of student recommendation forms;
- registration and tracking of all student, staff and faculty travel for credit and non-credit programs, courses, and activities;
- instant application review and enrollment updates for faculty directors;
- improved study abroad data and reporting functions; and
- significant reduction in data-entry and paper and printer toner use.
“We’re very excited about the rollout of this new system,” said David Engberg, director of the International Education Center. “It will help us better manage student data and the array of international study programs available to St. Thomas students. Having better information about where our students are living and travelling abroad and how to contact them will also aid our response in crisis situations.”
He added, “Special thanks go to Academic Affairs for its support of the acquisition of this system, as well as the committee of IEC staff committee responsible for its implementation – Kate Christensen, Eric Delacruz, Tim Dohmen, Sarah Huesing and Sarah Spencer."
Along with the new data management system, International Programs upgraded its Study Abroad website. Additional enhancements to this website and others related to international programming at UST are in progress.