UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Shopping on Thanksgiving menu,” Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch, Nov. 23, 2005. “Retailers also no longer fear a consumer backlash from promoting holiday shopping too early, said Dave Brennan, a director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis.” The direct link is here: https://www.dispatch.com/business-story.php?story=dispatch/2005/11/23/20051123-D1-00.html. If you'd like to see the story free, go to https://www.dispatch.com/ and type "Dave Brennan" into the search line.
- “Retail treat, or lump of coal,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 23, 2005. “Although only a fraction of total U.S. retail sales, online sales keep growing at a double-digit pace. Bain & Co. expects U.S. online sales to be nearly $20 billion in November and December, up from $15.8 billion a year ago. Locally, a University of St. Thomas survey notes Internet popularity appears to have leveled off.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/special_packages/business_cover_stories/13237157.htm
- “$2.03 sounds like a bargain,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 23, 2005. “A recent University of St. Thomas survey found gasoline and heating-fuel costs are weighing heavily on consumers. Nearly 27 percent of those surveyed volunteered that fuel costs will curtail spending, while 29 percent of those asked directly said gasoline and natural gas prices wouldn't affect their spending.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/13237238.htm
- “What does the St. Paul Seminary do to keep potential abusers out?” The Catholic Spirit, Nov. 23, 2005. https://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=4668
- “New gay-priest rules not really new, experts say,” Star Tribune, Nov. 24, 2005. “‘My impression is that this is not any different from what we have been practicing here,’ said Sister Katarina Schuth, a professor of pastoral theology and national consultant on seminary education at the St. Paul Seminary in St. Paul.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/614/5744912.html
- “Sharing global differences in a changing Minnesota,” Star Tribune, Nov. 24, 2005. “Students from the University of St. Thomas and an all-immigrant high school meet weekly to break stereotypes and prepare for a global society.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/722/5744606.html
- “Star Tribune picks St. Paul leader,” Star Tribune, Nov. 24, 2005. Kevin Duchschere is a St. Thomas alum. https://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5744975.html
- “For these 12 coaches, mix of career paths led to today's date at the Dome,” Star Tribune, Nov. 25, 2005. “Three hold degrees from Minnesota State, Mankato, two are graduates of Minnesota-Morris and two went to the University of St. Thomas.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/508/5745957.html
- “Double donor a true champ,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 25, 2005. “For the second time in five years, [Andrew Campion] the 30-year-old U.S. Air Force captain and bone-marrow blood donor has found himself in the position of potentially saving another life.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/health/13252265.htm
- “One in the spirit,” Star Tribune, Nov. 26, 2005. Here’s a Q and A with St. Thomas alumnus Curtiss De Young, a minister who has developed a course in reconciliation studies at Bethel University in Arden Hills. https://www.startribune.com/stories/614/5746827.html
- See also: “Curtiss Paul DeYoung,” Star Tribune, Nov. 26, 2005. https://www.startribune.com/stories/614/5746832.html
- “Doctor's work had far-reaching impact,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 26, 2005. Dr. Leon Leger Adcock, 82, was a St. Thomas alumnus. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/ramsey_county/13259229.htm
- “Retailers hope big deals bring big season,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 26, 2005. “A survey by the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas found that households, on average, plan to trim holiday spending by 6 percent to $750. But a Deloitte & Touche survey projects a 19 percent increase in overall holiday spending here, three times the increase it projects for the nation.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/13259177.htm\
- "Good Question: Why Do We Have To Be First?" WCCO-TV News, Nov. 26, 2005. UST psychology professor Dr. John Tauer explains. https://wcco.com/specialreports/local_story_330123332.html
- “Hurricane ends Tommie's bachelor life,” Star Tribune, Nov. 27, 2005. Karnel James ’94 “went from living alone to having a house full of relatives, thanks to Katrina's devastation.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/508/5747363.html
- “Executive read,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 27, 2005. Dr. Christopher Puto, dean of the UST College of Business, reviews The World is Flat: A Brief History of the 21st Century by Thomas Friedman. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/13258312.htm
- “Race is on to use or lose health money,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 28, 2005. “Mike Rowan increased his FSA at the University of St. Thomas to $2,500 this year because he was planning to have hip surgery. Bills from the September surgery are still coming, so he isn't sure whether he will have extra flex money. But if there is any, he has a backup plan.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/13271090.htm
- "Competition freaks," Los Angeles Times, Nov. 28, 2005. "Those who are externally motivated often think 'their self-worth is contingent on winning,' says John Tauer, a professor of psychology at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., who has studied achievement and internal motivation. 'When they start any activity, their first thought is, 'I need to win.' '" https://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-competition28nov28,0,4598219.story?coll=la-home-health