UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you're welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries' Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- "Glad you're not here ," Star Tribune, June 17, 2007. "For couples weighing the pros and cons of separate vacations, here's some advice: Think 'we-ness.' That's the advice of John Buri, a psychologist and professor at the University of St. Thomas, and author of 'How to Love Your Wife' (Tate Publishing, $14). Buri, who has been married 35 years and is the father of six children, ages 21 to 30, would discourage separate vacations if couples weren't also finding enjoyable shared activities. 'The opposite of love? It's indifference,' he said. He has interests that his wife, Kathy, doesn't share, but when he scouts for a high school boys' basketball team, for example, she goes along. She's even learned a little bit about the sport. 'Over time, slowly, couples do need to find those things they have in common,' he said." https://www.startribune.com/218/story/1248346.html
- "Outside consultant,' Star Tribune, June 18, 2007. https://www.startribune.com/535/story/1249447.html
- "Health expert warns of approaching crisis," Star Tribune, June 20, 2007. "'The result will be an explosion in the federal deficit,' [Leonard Schaeffer, former chairman and chief executive of WellPoint Inc., the nation's largest insurer] told the National Institute of Health Policy at the University of St. Thomas. 'We have eight years, maybe 10, to avoid this trend. If we don't do something, then the [federal] budget guys take over and start cutting.'" https://www.startribune.com/535/story/1256341.html
- "Knuth graduates with Ph.D.," Murray County News ( Slayton, Minn.), June 20, 2007. Nick Knuth '98 got a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan. https://www.murraycountynews.net/default.asp?storyid=33293&secid=105
- "Can Muslims refuse work duties because of faith?" Our Sunday Visitor ( Huntington, Ind.), June 21, 2007. "Robert Kennedy, director of Catholic Studies at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., said the issue of religious freedom applies to members of all faiths, not just Muslims." https://www.osv.com/OSVNav/OSVNewsweeklyJuly12007/CanMuslimsrefuseworkdutiesbecauseoffaith/tabid/3926/Default.aspx
- "Good Question: How Do Parents Set Curfew Time?" WCCO-TV, June 21, 2007. Dr. Carol Bruess, Communication Studies, provides some tips. https://wcco.com/goodquestion/local_story_172200522.html