UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you're welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries' Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- "Good Question: Why Do We Need to See the Bridge?" WCCO-TV, Aug. 10, 2007. UST social psychologist Dr. John Tauer provides expertise. This segment also appeared on CBS' "Saturday Morning" show on Aug. 11. https://wcco.com/goodquestion/local_story_222223442.html
- "New Role for Business School Research," Business Week Online, Aug. 14, 2007. "Some people fear that pushing for immediate relevance could deter researchers from studying uncharted or esoteric subjects. 'We need to push boundaries and explore new frontiers of knowledge,' says John Sailors, assistant professor of marketing at the Opus College of Business at University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis. He also says that the choice of who is responsible for deciding what is relevant could limit the type of research that surfaces. If everyone is focusing on improving what's already happening in business, says Sailors, they won't make discoveries or find new ways of doing things." https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/aug2007/bs20070814_496957.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_b-schools
- "Charley Walters," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug 15, 2007. The sports columnist noted, "Former University of St. Thomas and Cretin-Derham Hall basketball star Sean Sweeney, an astute evaluator of talent, will be named director of men's basketball operations for the University of Evansville." https://www.twincities.com//ci_6634156
- "Students ready to work at new Cristo Rey school," The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 16, 2007. "Kristine Melloy, founding principal of Cristo Rey, is taking a two-year leave of absence from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, where she is an education professor, to work at the school. 'I volunteered for two-and-half-years to make this a reality,' she said."
- "A Spirit of Giving: Gene and Mary Frey are being honored by the National Catholic Educational Association for their philanthropic efforts," The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 16, 2007. "The Freys also have shared their hard work and good fortune with the University of St. Thomas, where two buildings are named in their honor: the Frey Science and Engineering Center and the O’Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center. Mark Dienhart, the university’s executive vice president and CEO, said the Freys are extraordinary people. 'They have an uncommon wisdom and grace that makes them influential,' Dienhart said. 'They are obviously quite generous, and they’ve been generous with St. Thomas and its students.'" https://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=630&SectionID=75&SubSectionID=&S=1
- "Finding God in the 35W bridge collapse," The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 16, 2007. "There’s a difference between 'letting' something happen and 'causing' it to happen, noted University of St. Thomas philosophy professor Gregory Coulter." https://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=641&SectionID=37&SubSectionID=&S=1
- "Worldwide movement spawns new parish model," The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 16, 2007. "Catholics from 23 U.S. states and at least nine other countries, including South Korea, Mexico and Tanzania, gathered at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul Aug. 9 to 12 to share their ideas for organizing and sustaining parish-based small Christian communities." https://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=662&SectionID=35&SubSectionID=&S=1