Here's a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to "archive" status, and if links have expired, you're welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries' Web site. In some cases, you'll need to register on the publication's Web site in order to access full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- “More College Chiefs Bounce Babies on Their Knees,” Chronicle of Higher Education, July 25, 2010. Here’s a fun little feature about university presidents who have young children. Among them: Former UST Vice President for Academic Affairs Tom Rochon, who is now president of Ithaca College.
- “Corporate Funds Aid Centers Tied to Lawmakers,” The New York Times, Aug. 5, 2010. St. Thomas is the “Minnesota law school” referred to in this story with an endowment honoring U.S. Rep. James Oberstar (D-Minn.). Oberstar is a 1956 St. Thomas alumnus. The James L. Oberstar Professor of Law and Public Policy was established at the School of Law in 2008.
- “Townie promoted to News sports editor,” Northfield News, Aug. 10, 2010. May graduate Shane Kitzman, founding director of TommieMedia.com, has a new job.
- See also: “Feels good to be home,” Northfield News, Aug. 10, 2010. Here’s Kitzman’s first column.
- “St. Thomas creates Minnesota Real Estate Hall of Fame,” Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, Aug. 11, 2010.
- “A Catholic response to immigration and Arizona law,” The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 11, 2010. Laura Stierman, director of the Latino Leadership Program in St. Thomas’ Center for Catholic Studies, is the author of this column.
- “Ramsey County housing market bleak,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 11, 2010. “‘We have a shortage of buyers, a surplus of homes and a lot of unemployment and a generally less-than-optimistic attitude among people,’ said George Karvel, a real estate professor at the University of St. Thomas. ‘You put all of that together and it's going to be quite some time before we absorb the excess in housing and some time before prices go up.’”
- “Building up urban education,” The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 12, 2010. “The archdiocese worked with professors at the University of St. Thomas to define ‘high potential,’ [Archiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis Director of Urban Education Laurie] Acker said.”