2005 Post Graduation Survey Report is available
By Diane Crist, Career Development Center
The results of the Post Graduation Survey are in! Each year, the Career Development Center administers the survey that provides information to students, faculty, staff and administration regarding activities of recent UST undergraduate alumni.
The report is often distributed to students in workshops and counseling sessions in order to educate them on possible career paths and entry-level salary ranges. Many employers analyze salary information contained in the report as a factor in determining entry-level salaries for the upcoming recruiting season.
The Career Development Center sent surveys by mail to 1,025 December 2004 and May-July 2005 graduates. We then followed up with phone calls and were able to collect information on 386 (37.7 percent) of those contacted.
Here are some of the results of the survey:
- The median salary range for this class was $30,001 to $35,000.
- 49.34 percent of those responding to the survey reported having an internship while at St. Thomas, 22.08 percent currently are enrolled in an advanced degree program, and 36.36 percent say they plan to enroll within four years of graduation.
- 85.97 percent plan to further their education.
Here is the respondents’ employment status (percentages are of those who responded to the questions):
- Employed full time – 269 (70.05 percent)
- Employed part time – 50 (13.02 percent)
- Volunteer service – seven (1.82 percent)
- Military service – 10 (2.60 percent)
- Not employed, currently seeking – 14 (6.65 percent)
- Not employed, not seeking – 34 (8.85 percent)
Data is reported both as a whole and by academic department. The graduates were asked about employment status and sector, salary range, internship experience, plans for continuing education (including degree sought and field of study), and the state in which they reside. A listing of employers and job titles as well as graduate schools and programs also are available in the report.
To improve response rates for the 2006 survey, departments with newsletters reaching recent alumni are encouraged to inform the December 2005 and May-July 2006 undergraduate class about the upcoming survey mailing in January 2007. As with this year, respondents will be entered into a drawing for five Amazon.com gift certificates – the grand prize will be worth $100.
The complete report may be viewed on the Career Development Center Web site. Hard copies of this report as well as previous reports may be requested by contacting the Career Development Center via e-mail or at (651) 962-6761.