AARC Hosts Football Coach of the Year Announcement Viewing Party at 12:15 p.m. Today

The St. Thomas community is invited to attend an announcement today on whether football coach Glenn Caruso is the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year for NCAA Division III.

A viewing party will be held at 12:15 p.m. Monday, Jan. 10, in the Anderson Athletic and Recreation Complex atrium – the corridor between the field house and arena – for the announcement, which will be shown live on the CBS College Sports TV cable network and on a videostream at https://www.coachoftheyear.com.

[nggallery id=8]

Caruso is one of five Division III finalists. He won the popular vote, which accounts for 20 percent of the overall vote, by a 16,063-15,231 margin over runner-up Steve Johnson of Bethel University. Members of the College Football Hall of Fame and national media cast the other 80 percent.

Liberty Mutual will donate $50,000 to the winner’s designated charity and $20,000 to his school’s alumni association. The winners in all four NCAA divisions will attend Monday evening’s FBS national championship game between Oregon and Auburn in Glendale, Ariz., and will be recognized during the game.

Boston-based Liberty Mutual Group and the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame sponsor the award, now in its fifth season. Among the previous Division III winners is John Gagliardi, long-time coach of St. John’s University.