Crew announces results from a double-race weekend
From UST Crew
To much disappointment, the Head of the Miss Regatta on the Mississippi was canceled due to the weather. Although it was a beautiful day, the wind caused whitecaps on the river that prohibited any further races.
The Head of the Rock regatta was a first-race success for the entire UST Crew. Medals were won and first-time races were experienced. The Head of the Rock is a 2.75-mile race that was held in Rockford, Ill. An incredible 60-plus crews with more than 1,700 rowers participated from all divisions, including university, club and unaffiliated rowing organizations.
There are three segmentations of crews, including collegiate, open and junior. All teams race against each other in their segmentation, regardless if they are varsity- or club-sponsored teams.
Here are UST's results from the regatta:
- The Men's Varsity double took first place. Congratulations to the rowers in that boat, Steve Assie and Dima Koshevy.
- The Men's Varsity four took fifth place. They were an amazing two seconds behind third place, which was a varsity-sponsored team, Notre Dame. They were able to beat Purdue (club) and Northwestern (club), two of UST's great rivals!
- The Women's Varsity four was the fourth club team to finish.
- The Mixed Varsity eight took fifth place behind four Purdue crews, seconds behind second.
- Two Mixed Varsity fours came out second and third. They had a great row, only behind St. Louis , a varsity-sponsored crew. They were well ahead of two UST rivals, Macalester (D3) and St. Cloud (D2)!
- The Men's Varsity eight took sixth place. This crew was only 10 seconds behind the second-place Purdue Rowing Club.
- The Women's Varsity eight finished sixth out of all the club crews.
This regatta was a great first experience for all the novice UST rowers who attended. With this good job on their first races they are paving their way for a great year.