As fall sports move to the postseason and winter sports begin their seasons, there is a lot to be excited about as a Tommie sports fan. Check out this list of exciting opportunities to cheer on the Tommies over the next few weeks.
NCAA Regional Volleyball Tournament
The Tommie volleyball team will host an eight-team NCAA Region Tournament. The Tommies will play 8 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 8, vs. Cornell College. If the Tommies beat Cornell they will play 7 p.m. Friday, and if they win Friday they will play 7 p.m. Saturday for the regional title. All of these games will take place in Schoenecker Arena in the Anderson Athletic and Recreation Complex.
All NCAA postseason events require a ticket; however, effective yesterday, Tommie Central will have 100 free tickets per game available for undergraduate students. If the Tommies win, 100 tickets for the next day’s game will be available at 10 p.m. following the game.
This is where it gets exciting. At each NCAA postseason home game for volleyball, and in the coming weeks for football, students will be able to have their IDs scanned prior to entering each game for a chance to be entered into a drawing. The more NCAA postseason events a student attends – the more entries the student will have in the drawing.
When attending volleyball this week, students should stop by the St. Thomas Athletic Hall of Fame on the second level of the AARC to have their cards scanned prior to entering the game. Prizes for the drawing will include a flat-screen TV, catered lunch for six and with either volleyball coach Thanh Pham or football coach Glenn Caruso, and the final prize is a $100 Bookstore gift card. Fanamaniac urges everyone to get out and cheer on the Tommies as they make runs for fall national championships and as they begin the winter sports season.
Football vs. St. Olaf
The football team will look to cap off an undefeated regular season as it hosts St. Olaf at 1:10 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 10. Undergraduate students can pick up a free meal voucher good for a free lunch during Purple on the Plaza. Purple on the Plaza is a pre-game event that takes place on John P. Monahan Plaza from 11:30 to 1 p.m. prior to each home football game. The event is full of music, food and Tommie Spirit.
During halftime, stop by the purple tent at the south end of the stadium near the old scoreboard to register your Fanamaniac ID card scan – and cheer on the Tommies as they strive to complete an undefeated regular season.
Other Fanamaniac Events
- Friday, Nov. 9 – Pre-game event on the plaza, 6:15-7 p.m. (scan ID on the plaza; rain site: Scooter's)
- Friday, Nov. 9 – Men’s hockey,* 7:30 p.m. Bus leaves at 7 p.m. from the Flynn turnaround (scan ID at Flynn as you board the bus)
- Saturday, Nov. 10 – Football, 1:10 p.m. (scan ID at halftime on south end of the Stadium by the old scoreboard; look for the purple tent)
- Friday, Nov. 16 – Pre-game on the plaza, 6:15-7 p.m. (scan ID on the plaza; rain site: Scooter's)
- Friday, Nov. 16 – Women’s hockey,* 7:30 p.m. Bus leaves at 7 p.m. from Flynn turnaround (scan ID at Flynn as you board the bus)
- Tuesday, Nov. 20 – Pre-game event on the plaza, 6-7 p.m. (scan ID on the plaza; rain site: Scooter's)
- Tuesday, Nov. 20 – Men’s basketball, 7 p.m. (scan ID at entrance to Schoenecker Arena throughout the game)
- Wednesday, Nov. 28 – Barbecue on the plaza, 6:30-7:30 p.m. (scan ID on the plaza; rain site: Scooter's)
- Wednesday, Nov. 28 – Women’s basketball, 7:30 p.m. (scan ID at entrance to Schoenecker Arena throughout the game)
* Ride the Fanamaniac shuttle to hockey games and be admitted to the games for free.