IRT’s Tech Tip Tuesday: Get educational discounts on hardware, software for personal use
From Information Resources and Technologies
This week we continue our series of tech tips on IRT-supported Web-based accessible resources. The topic for this installment is the UST TechStore.
UST TechStore: Computer hardware and software resource for personal use
Provided as an online service, the UST TechStore is a place for faculty, staff, students and alumni to purchase computer hardware and software for their personal use at an educational discount. Merchandise that is available through the UST TechStore includes Apple, Dell and CDW-G products, including computers, printers, scanners and select software. Items purchased via the TechStore are not intended for use on UST-owned computers; for all institutional purchases, please e-mail IRT Purchase.
While the UST TechStore offers an assortment of software programs, including Adobe and Microsoft titles, it is important to know that IRT provides Sophos Antivirus S0ftware as a free download for UST students, faculty and staff on the IRT Sophos Web page.
In addition, the following software is available at UST:
- MS Office for faculty and staff: O’Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center and the Charles J. Keffer Library
- MS Office for students is available at the UST Bookstore for $79.99
- Mathematica for faculty, staff and students: O’Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center and the Charles J. Keffer Library
- Minitab for faculty, staff and students: O’Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center and the Charles J. Keffer Library
- Mac OS X for faculty, staff and students: e-mail IRT Purchase (It’s free!)
- Windows XP for faculty and staff: e-mail IRT Purchase (It’s free!)
- Any other software for home use (faculty and staff only): e-mail IRT Purchase (It might be free, so write to us.)
Please note that items purchased through the UST TechStore are not supported by the university or IRT. For technical support for your personal computer hardware and software, please contact the vendor through which you make your purchase.
All institutional purchases of computer hardware and software at UST are managed by the IRT Client Services’ Asset Management Team. By using this procedure, departments take advantage of price breaks as a result of aggregate buying. Universitywide management of software licensing ensures that the university remains in compliance with software copyright laws and centralized hardware leasing ensures that standard hardware is available throughout the university and replaced in a timely manner. If you have questions or would like to order IT products, visit the Request for Services (RFS) page and choose IRT Purchase, or e-mail IRT Purchase.
If you have questions about the UST TechStore or any of the technology provided on campus, please contact the IRT Tech Desk, (651) 962-6230.