Multicultural Student Services would like to thank all those involved with the REAL (Reaching Excellence in Academics and Leadership) Program. We’re proud of our community and the investment they make.
The REAL program is sponsored by Multicultural Student Services and the Division of Student Affairs. U.S. Students of color and those with immigrant status were eligible to apply for the program. Fifteen talented and motivated students were selected and successfully completed a six-week program, which ran simultaneously with the Summer Academy, a program sponsored by the UST Science Division and the National Science Foundation.
Combined, there were 24 students who lived together as roommates and learned about programs and departments across the campus. They became familiarized with the resources that are available at UST, and they got a taste of college course work and student employment.
The 2010 REAL participants all came from high schools in Minnesota this year and represented many different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. The majority of them came from high schools in the Twin Cities Metro area, but one came from Rochester, and another from St. Cloud.
Throughout the six weeks while on campus, the students attended college-level courses taught by UST faculty in math, English, science, computer and library skills. They participated in workshops each morning hosted by more than 60 staff and faculty representing over 20 campus departments.
A very special thanks to the following:
- REAL Program and Summer Academy peer advisers: Solomon Anderson and G Lee Xiong
- REAL Program and Summer Academy hall director: Katie Olson
- REAL Program faculty: John Kinsella, Dr. David (Todd) Lawrence, Talia Nadir, Kathy O’Neil, Charlie Schuman, Dr. Brenda Tiefenbruck, and Jess Walczak
- REAL Program intern: Alese Overly
- REAL Program math tutor: Linh Duong
- REAL Program writing tutor: Cody Jerabek
- REAL Program work-site supervisors: Meghan Allen-Eliason, Barb Baker, Don Beyers, Joanne Boyer, Mary Dunn,Terry Lynn Eggert, Heather English, Michele Goodson, Bryan Helminiak, Josh Hengemuhle, Dede Hering, Brian Hill, Joe Kreitzer, Pa Nhia Lee, Katherine Ngumba, Kerri Roesner and Kathy Tischler
- REAL Program and Summer Academy workshop presenters: Meghan Allen-Eliason, Don Beyers, Dr. Corrine Carvahlo, Patricia Conde-Brooks, Beth Cotton, R.N., Tim Dohmen, Wells Farnham, Dr. Barb Gorski, James Hammar, Josh Hengemuhle, Sister Sharon Howell, Tara LaFerla, Karen Lange, David Moore, Katie Olson, Tonia Jones Peterson, Sandra Sanger, Laura Sherr, Dr. Buffy Smith, Tori Svoboda, and Jan Townsend