Registration holds: Fix these or you won

Registration holds: Fix these or you won’t be able to register

Are you prepared for registration? Review the list below to make sure your priority registration isn’t delayed.

You must see your adviser to register
All undergraduate day students have an adviser hold placed on their record. To remove this hold and be cleared to register, you must make an appointment and see your adviser. If you are unsure who your adviser is, their name is listed at Murphy Online, under Check Your Registration Status, Curriculum Information (choose the program) or by contacting Academic Counseling, Room 119, O’Shaughnessy Educational Center, (651) 962-6300.

Delinquent balances
All tuition accounts must be current in order to register. Be advised that the November minimum payment must be paid by Nov. 19 to enable you to pre-register. Refer to your bill for the minimum payment amount and the status of your account. If you have questions about your delinquent balance, please contact the Business Office Account Adviser, (651) 962-6610. If you are planning to use financial aid to pay your delinquent balance but your aid has not been updated to your tuition account, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services, (651) 962-6550.

Payment agreement forms
All students must have a signed payment agreement form on file with the Business Office prior to registration. Most students complete these forms as part of their application process. Notices will be sent to those students without a form on file. If you have questions regarding your payment agreement form, please call the Business Office, (651) 962-6600.

High school transcripts
All day-undergraduate students must have a final high school transcript on file with the Admissions office. Most students submitted this transcript after they received their diploma. Students without a final high school transcript will have a registration hold on their account. If you have questions regarding your final high school transcript, call Liz Hayes, Enrollment Services, (651) 962-6158.

Address verification
Each fall semester, all degree-seeking undergraduate students must verify their address information. The verification process is done electronically via Murphy Online. The process is considered complete when you have submitted the certification page confirming that the information provided in Murphy is accurate, whether or not you have made changes. If you have not completed address verification, you will be prompted to do so as soon as you access Murphy. If you experience technical difficulties, please contact Information Resources and Technologies, (651) 962-6230.

In accordance with state guidelines, all students are required to file an immunization record with Student Health Service (SHS). Immunization Record Forms can be downloaded from the SHS Web site. Students who are missing immunization information will be sent a reminder notice. Immunization information often can be obtained from a student’s previous high school or college. If you have questions, please contact Student Health Services, (651) 962-6750.