Students, get ready for Election Day Nov. 7

Students, get ready for Election Day Nov. 7

Election Day is Nov. 7, 2006. Students are encouraged to let their voice be heard by exercising their right to vote. If you are planning to vote by absentee ballot in your home community, you will need to contact your county auditor to obtain an absentee ballot.

Effective Jan. 1, 2006, all new registrants must provide their driver’s license number or Minnesota ID card number. If neither of these is available, then you will be asked to provide the last four digits of your Social Security number.

If you choose to vote locally, please review the information below.

Students living on campus

  • Students living on the north campus vote at St. Mark’s School at 1983 Dayton Ave.
  • Students living on the south campus vote at the Groveland Recreation Center at 2021 St. Clair Ave. This includes students who live in the Grand Avenue Apartments, the Child Development Center Residence Hall, and the transfer student houses located on Summit and Grand avenues.

A list of all students living on campus has been sent to county election officials. To register, students will need to show their St. Thomas ID card to election judges.

The All College Council will sponsor a shuttle bus to these two locations from 9:15 a.m. to 6 p.m. The free bus will stop in front of the arches on Summit Avenue approximately every 30 minutes.

Students living off campus

You will need to locate the polling place for your local address. To do so:

  • Log on to the Polling Place Finder Web site and enter your address. The site will give you the address of your polling location OR
  • Stop by the Dean of Students Office, Room 101, Murray-Herrick Campus Center (MHC), for assistance.

To register, you will need one of the following:

  • A current, valid Minnesota Driver’s License, learner’s permit or identification card (or receipt for a new one) containing your address in the precinct.
  • Student ID with a university registration or fee statement with your current address; Student ID with an original bill for water, sewer, gas, electric, phone, solid waste, cell phone or cable television services that includes your name and current address in the precinct and has a due date within 30 days of election day.
  • Tribal ID.
  • Someone who is registered in the precinct where you live who will vouch for your residence.
  • “Notice of Late Registration” postcard.
  • Prior registration listed on roster at former address in precinct.