Throwing Open the Shutters
by Theresa Klein
Catholic Studies Semester
Study abroad deadlines: International Photo Contest – Oct. 2; J-Term application – Oct. 6
January Term 2007 programs still are available. Check the Study Abroad Web site for open programs and more detailed information, including cost, itinerary, course descriptions and application materials. The final application deadline is Friday, Oct. 6.
Butler IFSA representative on campus Oct. 3
Michael Nelson will speak with students about programs through Butler University in various parts of the world. He will be on campus from 12:15 to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 3, in the International Education Center, 44 N. Cleveland Ave. The director of the New Zealand program also will be here to discuss specifics about that program.
For program options through Butler University, see the Study Abroad Web site.
Did you study abroad in fall, J-Term, spring, summer or for the entire 2005-2006 school year? Do you have a photo that represents your experience? If so, enter the International Education Center's 2006 Photo Contest. Cash prizes will be awarded. The submission deadline is Monday, Oct. 2.
Your photos may be entered in one of the following two categories:
- An International Experience – This category is about people, the meeting and mixing of cultures.
- A Sense of Place – This category is about place and scenery, capturing the unique atmosphere.
Here are the eligibility requirements:
- Photographer must be a St. Thomas student.
- Entries may originate from any country but must be in conjunction with a UST study, work or volunteer program from the 2005-2006 academic year.
How to submit photos
- Each photo is a single entry and must be accompanied by the photo contest entry form, available online.
- Photos or slides may be in color or black and white.
- Prints of digital photos must be at least 300 dpi.
- Limit of three submissions for each category.
- Your name must be on the back of each photo written on tape or a Post-It note so that you do not damage the photo.
Drop off or mail your entry
- Drop off unmounted entries in a flat package at the International Education Center, 44 N. Cleveland Ave., St. Paul, or
- Mail your entry to: Photo Contest, Mail #44C, University of St. Thomas, 2115 Summit Ave., St. Paul, MN 55105.
Be sure to read the "fine print" below
Winners will be notified in October and will be asked to submit their negatives of the winning photo(s); negatives will be returned after copies have been made. Each entry becomes UST property; thus, photos will not be returned. Submission of an entry acknowledges the right of UST to use it for exhibition and publication.