UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at
“Strong manufacturing necessary for the future,” Management Herald, Buenos Aires, Argentina, January 2003. The Management Herald, a leading management publication in Argentina, interviewed Dr. Fred Zimmerman, of UST Programs in Engineering and Technology Management. (Not available online.)
“Corporate corner: Business people,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 10, 2003. “Fred Zimmerman, a professor at the St. Paul-based University of St. Thomas, received a lifetime membership award from the Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association.”
“Trail of pain in church crisis leads to nearly every diocese,” The New York Times, Jan. 12, 2003. Sister Katarina Schuth, of the St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity, is quoted in this story: “Seminaries were overhauled, in part, in recognition that they were producing unhealthy priests. By the late 1980’s, many Catholic seminaries and dioceses began psychological screening of candidates for the priesthood, said Sister Katerina [sic] Schuth, a sociologist at St. Paul’s [sic] Seminary at the University of St. Thomas. Human sexuality was added to seminary curriculums soon after 1992, when Pope John Paul II called for the church to pay attention to the ‘human formation’ of priests, said Sister Schuth. Studies show that more seminarians and priests now identify themselves as homosexual than in previous generations, and with the openness has come more candid discussion in seminaries of celibacy and chastity, she said.” You may need a New York Times account (free) to read this one:
“Women’s MIAC standings,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 12, 2003. UST’s women’s basketball team is tied for third in the conference and lost an overtime game to Macalester Jan. 11.
“Men’s MIAC standings,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 12, 2003. UST’s men’s basketball team is tied for second in the conference and won a tight game with Macalester on Jan. 11.
“By the numbers,” Star Tribune, Jan. 12, 2003. “2001 compensation for the Rev. Dennis Dease, president of the University of St. Thomas, the state's largest nonmedical nonprofit: $126,831. Number of the 127 players for the Timberwolves, Twins, Vikings and Wild, including starters and substitutes, whose annual salary is less than that of Dease: 0.”
“Schedule of public meetings on proposed south-central bus changes,” Star Tribune, Jan. 12, 2003. St. Thomas’ Minneapolis campus will host a Jan. 28 meeting.
“Sunday morning scorecard,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 12, 2003. The Tommie men’s and women’s hockey teams lead the MIAC.
“Business calendar,” Star Tribune, Jan. 13, 2003.
“College hockey: Tommies rally past St. Olaf,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 13, 2003. The women’s team played the Oles on Sunday, Jan. 12.
“Neal St. Anthony/On Business: Tech refugee’s trek shows path others tread, too,” Star Tribune, Jan. 14, 2003. Nancy Carter, holder of the Richard M. Schulze Chair in Entrepreneurship in the UST College of Business, is quoted.
“Skrypek, UST on a roll,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 14, 2003. Here’s a “happy birthday” to UST’s hockey coach, on the verge of his 300th win.
“Neighbors still skeptical about St. Thomas building plans,” Star Tribune, Jan. 15, 2003.
“White Bear Lake: Rummel chosen for state school board,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 15, 2003. Sandy Rummel is an adjunct faculty member in UST’s School of Education.
- "Market for small manufacturers dries up," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 15, 2003. Dr. Fred Zimmerman, of UST Programs in Engineering and Technology Management, is quoted. https://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/business/4947544.htm
- "Twin Cities: Home prices up a 'mere' 9 percent," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 16, 2003. Dr. George Karvel, real estate professor in UST's College of Business, is quoted. https://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/business/4956520.htm
“Minnesota's Sunrich riding the soy wave,” Star Tribune, Jan. 17, 2003. Allan Routh, CEO of this southern Minnesota company that produces nearly half of the nation’s soy milk, is a St. Thomas alumnus. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3597218.html
- " People: Harlem Gospel Choir coming to St. Paul," Star Tribune, Jan. 18, 2003. UST will host the performance Feb. 11. https://www.startribune.com/stories/462/3599658.html
- "Collegial relations: St. Paul's colleges and universities work hard at being good neighbors, but they don't always succeed," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 19, 2003. https://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/living/education/4975845.htm
- "Class takes a fun look at serious, timely issue," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 19, 2003. Here's a look at Dr. Paul Wojda's January Term course, Theology and Genetics. https://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/living/education/4974901.htm
- "Area men: Toms take over first," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 19, 2003. https://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/4980771.htm
- "Broker's star falls with market," Star Tribune, Jan. 19, 2003. Here's a story about the difficulties of stockbroker alumnus Sherwin Brown '86. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3597415.html