UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- “He's 'living off of' gratitude,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 24, 2004. Here’s a nice story about Father Mike Joncas of the UST Theology Department faculty, and his long battle with Guillain-Barré Syndrome. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/10257931.htm
- “College students plan summit on Summit to fight for homeless,” The Catholic Spirit, Nov. 24, 2004. https://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=3104
- “Robert Pile, ad man, writer and teacher, dies,” Star Tribune, Nov. 25, 2004. Pile was an adjunct faculty member at St. Thomas in the 1980s. https://www.startribune.com/stories/466/5104519.html
- “Faces: Jimmy Morrelli,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 25, 2004. Owner of The Little Oven in St. Paul, Morrelli also is a St. Thomas alumnus. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/entertainment/dining/10263498.htm
- “Holiday performing arts calendar,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 25, 2004. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/entertainment/music/10263617.htm
- “Art calendar,” Star Tribune, Nov. 26, 2004. https://www.startribune.com/stories/1526/5099029-2.html
- “Suburbs now awash in fees,” Star Tribune, Nov. 26, 2004. Tom Musil of the UST College of Business real estate program is quoted on page 2 of this article. https://www.startribune.com/stories/587/5105444.html
- “Early birds get the deals,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 26, 2004. “That atmosphere is no accident, said Dave Brennan, co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas. ‘That's really what they're trying to do.’” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/10273077.htm
- “Law gets religious perspective,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 26, 2004. This story first was published in The New York Times on Nov. 22, 2004. “Ann Arbor, Mich., and St. Thomas in the Twin Cities – differ in many ways. But they share an opposition to what they see as the moral relativism of the standard law school education and the moral peril of much law practice. Patrick J. Schiltz, a law professor who helped found St. Thomas Law, said in a speech there that the school does not want to produce ‘nameless, faceless lawyers who populate the giant law firms in New York and Washington and Chicago, grinding out thousands upon thousands of billable hours, often toward no end other than getting rich and determining whether one huge insurance company will have to write out a check to another huge insurance company.’” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/10272630.htm
- “Business notes,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 26, 2004. “The CEO Roundtable, an organization for CEOs of growth-driven companies, said it is naming its annual scholarship the Dennis D. Anderson CEO Roundtable Scholarship. The University of St. Thomas presents this annual scholarship to either a graduate or an undergraduate student studying at UST's John M. Morrison Center for Entrepreneurship.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/10272631.htm
- “Religion events calendar,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 27, 2004. UST’s Dec. 2 Philosophy Colloquium is listed. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/10280156.htm
- “Community calendar,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 28. UST’s Dec. 1 tree-lighting ceremony is listed. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/ramsey_county/10280079.htm
- “Books: Lots of awards,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Nov. 28, 2004. The Minnesota Magazine and Publication Association has announced winners in its eighth annual publishing and excellence awards. Among the winners: the St. Thomas Magazine, published for alumni and friends of the university. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/entertainment/books/10265670.htm
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, Nov. 29, 2004. College of Business adjunct instructor Steven Warren offers business advice. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5106613.html
- “Adaptation is firm's top priority,” Star Tribune, Nov. 29, 2004. Here’s a profile of business owner and St. Thomas alumnus Jim Larranaga ’88. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5106869.html