UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “U.S. Bank studies customers,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 16, 2004 . "You're [sic] goal is not that every customer is happy with everything you do, but (realizing that) poor service makes you vulnerable if your competitors boost their customer service," said Lorman Lundsten, chairman of the marketing department at University of St. Thomas in St. Paul and a former bank regulator. "The trick is to figure out the areas that customers give a darn about and those that don't matter." https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/10426381.htm
- “Shooter,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 16, 2004. Sports columnist Charley (“Shooter”) Walters writes, “Jerry Steffen, 59, a former All-American linebacker at the University of St. Thomas and a much-respected St. Paul policeman for 28 years before retiring, died Wednesday at United Hospital after a courageous fight against leukemia. The wake for Steffen will be from 3-8 p.m. Sunday at Mueller Bies Funeral Home in Roseville; the funeral will be at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Rose of Lima Church, and the burial at National Cemetery.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/10426940.htm
- “Best bets for Dec. 16-22,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 16, 2004. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/entertainment/events/10423051.htm
- “Scorecard,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 16, 2004. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/10426994.htm
- “Sherpa fund, partner scaling back,” Star Tribune, Dec. 17, 2004. “Venture capitalist Rick Brimacomb is stepping away from full-time partnership duties at Sherpa Partners, which also has abandoned plans to commit to a second venture fund on top of its $17 million, 2001 Sherpa Trek 1. … Brimacomb, who will be president of the Minnesota Venture Capital Association in 2005, said he will push initiatives, through the association and the William C. Norris Institute at the University of St. Thomas , to stimulate discussion and spark more early-stage investments. He said he might seek a position running a company.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5141919.html
- “Making merry,” Star Tribune, Dec. 18, 2004 . “Adding a holiday theme can keep a brand fresh and build sales, said Dave Brennan, marketing professor and co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5143729.html
- “Business people,” Star Tribune, Dec. 20, 2004. UST’s new board members are announced. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5143486.html
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, Dec. 20, 2004. Pat Hedberg of the College of Business offers management advice. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5143485.html
- “Christmas Eve game poses divine dilemma for some fans,” Minnesota Public Radio, Dec. 24, 2004. UST theology faculty member Gerald Schlabach was interviewed for this story. https://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2004/12/23_williamsb_game/
- “CASH CHECK | John Michael Morrow, 36, St. Paul,” Star Tribune, Dec. 24, 2004 . Here’s a financial profile on Morrow, who has an M.B.A. from St. Thomas. https://www.startribune.com/stories/153/5153274.html
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, Dec. 27, 2004. Mark Spriggs of the College of Business offers pricing advice. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5152982.html
- “More students' course work includes travel,” Star Tribune, Dec. 27, 2004. “By the time Kristen Michaelson wraps up her college career next month at the University of St. Thomas , she will have seen World War II concentration camps in Austria , studied fine arts in Germany and picked coffee beans in Guatemala . … ” https://www.startribune.com/stories/1592/5155685.html
- “In memoriam,” Star Tribune, Dec. 30, 2004. This column recalls those who died in 2004, including Monsignor Terrence Murphy, former president of St. Thomas. https://www.startribune.com/stories/484/5162162.html
- “Sponsor training is now required,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 30, 2004. Here’s a story about the sponsorship of charter schools; UST sponsors three. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/special_packages/business_cover_stories/10525933.htm
- “George M. Woytanowitz: Get a piece of the bowl action,” Star Tribune, Jan. 1, 2005 . Woytanowitz, a UST history professor, offers this op-ed piece. https://www.startribune.com/stories/562/5161891.html
- “Obituary: Roger Moening; devoted to youth,” Star Tribune, Jan. 1, 2005. The retired teacher was assistant sergeant at arms in the Minnesota Senate; he had a master’s degree in counseling from St. Thomas. https://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5163779.html
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, Jan. 3, 2005. Dr. Susan Heckler of the College of Business offers marketing advice. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5161862.html