UST Libraries celebrate National Library Week, April 14-18
From UST Libraries
Celebrate National Library Week with us!
Here is a list of events planned for the week of April 14-18 to celebrate National Library Week. We hope to bring attention to the contributions of our libraries and to offer a chance for everyone to have some fun.
Daily online Trivia Contest – Charles J. Keffer Library reference librarian Andrea Hudson and O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center reference librarian Eric Kallas have come up with five great questions for you to research – one each day of the week. One winner will be chosen from those who send in correct responses by the daily deadline. Check the Library Week Web page for Trivia Contest rules.
Daily online voting for the winner of the Trip My Truck book cart contest – Fashioned after the popular "Pimp my Ride" TV show, library staff and student assistants have teamed up for the second year, department against department, to come up with some great book carts. But they need your help to be declared the winner. Check the Library Week Web page for details on voting for the Trip My Truck winner.
What's happening at the Charles J. Keffer Library in Minneapolis?
Come to the annual Library Week Book Sale during regular library hours each day this week at the Charles J. Keffer Library. If you finished your spring cleaning already, you may find great books to restock your home and office shelves.
Library staff from the Charles J. Keffer Library and Schoenecker Law Library will host the third annual Bookend Classic miniature golf tournament and invite you to drop in anytime from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, April 17. Start at the Schoenecker Law Library and wind through the Minneapolis campus to end at the Keffer Library. A "valuable" prize will be awarded for the lowest individual score – or consider working on your "team building" and play with a group. Questions? Call Andrea Koeppe, (651) 962-4647.
Archbishop Ireland Memorial Library – St. Paul
You are invited to browse and shop the Archbishop Ireland Memorial Library book sale anytime during library hours. A special feature of this sale is its popular Silent Auction of incredibly fine reference and theology items. The auction ends at noon Friday, April 18, so don't miss it. If you have questions about the Ireland Library book sale, call Betsy Polakowski, (651) 962-5452.
This year, the Archbishop Ireland Memorial Library is offering a special program for St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity faculty and staff called "Librarians to Go." Any SPSSOD faculty or staff member may request a consultation with an Ireland Library librarian who will then come to your office at a convenient time to give you some "instant library lessons" regarding the virtual library, show you library resources you can access from your office computer, and assist you with selecting and searching relevant electronic databases. To make an appointment or for additional information, call Curt LeMay, (651) 962-5451, or Jan Malcheski, (651) 962-5453.
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center
Here are the events this week:
- The Library Week book sale from noon to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday in the O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center is open on Monday exclusively for the St. Thomas community, then open to the public at noon Tuesday through the end of the week. Come find some great bargains just outside the O'Shaughnessy Room, Room 108.
- Stop by the display in the rotunda on the first floor and learn about the progress of the UST Capital Campaign.
- Check out the entries in the "Trip My Truck" contest and cast your vote for the winning cart.
- Tuesday, April 15 – Meet local poet Kirsten Dierking, who will read from her most recent book, Northern Oracle, at 4 p.m. in the O'Shaughnessy Room. (Read the Bulletin Today story on Dierking published April 8). Refreshments and a chance to meet Dierking follow the reading. This event is free and open to the public.
- Wednesday, April 16 – Senior citizens on campus are invited to come to the O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center at 11:40 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. for brief tours of the library, a mini-buffet, and an introduction to the stained glass windows in the O'Shaughnessy Room.
- Thursday, April 17 – Beginning at 4 p.m. in the O'Shaughnessy Room, more than 150 members of the UST community will showcase their publications from the past year. Stop by and congratulate your faculty and staff colleagues on their efforts and browse the display prepared by reference librarian Susan Price. Bibliographies will be made available and refreshments will be provided.
- Friday, April 18 – Hear the library's associate directors, Linda Hulbert and Janice Kragness, speak on that mysterious topic of "Copyright" from noon to 1 p.m. in the Center for Faculty eLearning, Room 102.
If you have questions about any of the library week events, call Julie Kimlinger, (651) 962