St. Thomas students, faculty, staff, alumni, neighbors and friends are invited to participate in the second annual 9/11 National Day of Service and Remembrance. United We Serve, a national spirit of service initiative, needs volunteers to help with local activities from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 12.
- Assist with the Union Park District Council food drive.
- Decorate cards and bags for seniors served by Keystone Community Services’ Meals-on-Wheels program and for people served by Open Arms of Minnesota.
- Plant a garden in front of the Child Development Center.
- Support youth programs at the YWCA.
- Work along the Mississippi River with the National Park Service.
- Help Catholic Charities and the Center for Victims of Torture with gardening and yard work.
Meet for a brief welcome and assignments at 1 p.m. on the upper quad (rain site: O’Shaughnessy Educational Center auditorium). Dress comfortably for walking and the weather; long pants and sturdy, closed-toe shoes are recommended for the river work. Water bottles and ice cream will be provided for volunteers.
Register in advance here so the appropriate number of projects can be arranged.
For more information, contact the UST Center for Intercultural Learning and Community Engagement, (651) 962-6800.